Doc STILL has it...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gbdeamer, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
  2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
  3. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    As it stated here, he first practiced 4 hours, then rehearsed with the Airmen. It's my understanding that Doc practices 8 hours a day. How good would any of us be if we had that kind of time, discipline and dedication to pursue trumpet perfection?

But I have personally known a few musicians who rarely practiced and were still extremely good...the ability to play must have been in their genes.

If you listen closely. you can detect a hint of influence by Harry. Maynard did the Harry thing early in his career as well.

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Sure, but there is a difference between musicians that you know and think of as extremely good and Doc, who we all know, as do countless people who are not trumpet players or musicians (of course they might be a little on the older side too). Perhaps that difference is the extra work by Doc.
    There are some among us who are extremely gifted. Nobody will ever know about it unless they also put in the work. It's possible Doc went to school with some other guys whom he thought were really gifted and would outplay him any time of the day. Yet he's the one whom we came to admire for his command of the instrument across genres, from classical to jazz. I'm sure that, as you said, his work habits had something to do with it. Of course, there are other things that come into play: Being in the right place at the right time, running into the right people, showing up on time etc, etc. But still, that much practice, once the body can tolerate it, it's sure to give you results.

I read the same thing about Mendez, some said he would practice essentially all day long, 12 hours sometimes...