Doc's New Horn @ ITG

Discussion in 'Horns' started by trptbenge, Jun 23, 2004.

1. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    Unfortunately, I could not go to the ITG conference. I was wondering if anyone tried out Doc's new horn. I have talked to several people who went but none of them tried the horn. One person was actually nervous and scared to go try it. Did anyone get a chance to try it?

Mike

2. jasonharrelson

jasonharrelson New Friend

Dec 14, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I played Doc's horn

I played it...actually, I played just about every horn there. It is very very similar to the Mambo horn by Stomvi. I played it with the German guy who makes them and didn't reveal my identity until after the trial. When I play-test a horn, I don't simply pick it up and wail on it. I checked intonation through all partials, slotting, dynamics and efficiency. It is a decent horn for lead work, it has the sound, but not the efficiency. I think it is a great that Doc is giving the maker such an opportunity to get his horns out. However, the trumpet is very similar to several other good horns out there including Schilke and Stomvi.

Jason

3. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    Jason,

Thanks for the review. I received a message from Doc's road manager and they ended up selling 16 horns at conference (10 they brought with them & 6 custom orders). A month or so ago Bud Herseth took delivery of his new Severinsen. I am assuming that they were selling them for the price listed on the website $4,300. That is a pretty good week $ wise.

I also talked with somone else who played them and he found that the lower register was a little unfocused and it closed down once you got above F (above high C).

I would love to play it but I always have thought that the two best horns Doc promoted were the original Eternas and the Belcanto. I wasn't a big fan of his last venture with Getzen.

Thank you again!

Mike

4. Andrew Fowler

Andrew Fowler New Friend

Jul 12, 2004
    Fort Worth TX
    I played a Destino for a few hours and I can assure you that it does not shut off above a high F. Double C rang out clearly and cleanly. I played selections from Shorty Rodgers "Maynard Ferguson" to test out the high register. It played fine in the altissimo range. I thought the low register was also good.

5. jasonharrelson

jasonharrelson New Friend

Dec 14, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    $3800

I was offered the Severinsen horn for $3800 at the ITG. I'm not surprised they sold so many...Doc's name is on it!

Jason

6. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    Straub trumpets are fine trumpets. I played a couple myself incuding a prototype with the same configuration of Docs horn. Good response, fast valves (Bauerfeind), well build. My experience was that they all lack a bit of feedback when your playing in a sektion and some models could project a bit more though.

They dropped the Destino price with $450,- . It's selling for 3850,- now. That's still pretty expensive for such a horn. But then you have Doc's aproval that it plays as good as his horn....

I heard Straub has a waiting list of 8 months now.