Doc's Symphony Gig is Up.

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Anonymous, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Symphony gig is up for Doc Severinsen

By Kyle MacMillan
    Denver Post Critic-at-Large

What's up? Well, not Doc.

Because of gradually declining attendance during Doc Severinsen's three-year tenure as the Colorado Symphony's principal pops conductor, the orchestra will not renew his contract for 2004-05, Doug Adams, the symphony's president and chief executive officer, said Monday.

"He's not just the principal pops conductor," Adams said, "he's also the entertainer. So having the same basic act for three times a year worked, and it worked for three years, but we felt it was time to make a change.

"He knows that, and we talked about that the last time he was here very candidly and very openly."

Severinsen, who gained widespread fame as the flamboyantly dressed leader of "The Tonight Show" band and Johnny Carson's sidekick, was named principal pops conductor of symphony in February 2001.

Since then, he has conducted three sets of pops programs each season, Adams said, and average attendance has progressively fallen. Severinsen is scheduled to lead two remaining pairs of concerts this year, including "20 Years of Glory" on Friday and Saturday.

Even though the orchestra and Severinsen are severing formal ties, Adams said, the symphony still hopes to have him back regularly as a guest performer.

"He's popular here," Adams said. "We were looking for a date for next season. I'm not sure that's going to work, but we would definitely like to have him back. He's a terrific guy."

The position of principal pops conductor will be left vacant for now, but Adams expects it to be eventually filled by someone else.
    [/b]

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    This is an interesting article. The only time I have ever seen Doc perform live (I got to meet him backstage too!) was with the Denver symphony. However, if I recall correctly, I wouldn't exactly blame the lack of attendance on the fact that Doc has conducted basically the same show for 3 years. Denver has had problems keeping the cash flow going more than once if memory serves me correctly.

Anyway, now that Doc is going to move on to other things, maybe we'll see him out here appearing as a guest with either the National or Baltimore symphonies, or with his big band. :D

3. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    That is sad, but not surprising. I have a friend in the Colorado Symphony, and he says they have been having attendance problems for years. Too many grey-hairs dying off, and the rich young Yuppies are not going to the symphony.

As much as I love Doc and his playing, another thing to consider here is that for alot of people under 30, it's like, "Doc, who"?

Since he is not on TV every night anymore, he does not have the draw he used to. Unless the Colorado Symphony (and other orchestras) want to feature Britney in concert with Doc, i don't think the numbers will go up.

Doc is still Principal Pops Conductor in Minneapolis, and he still packs them in here, so for the time being, at least, I will still be able to see him.

This is a sad state of music we are in...........

:(

Mike

4. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    HEY-I'm 19, and Doc is one of my trumpet role models! I used to watch the tonight show shortly before it went off, and saw him there some.

Yeah, the state of the music world has definitely gone down the crapper. Personally, I don't believe there is such a thing as a true musician in today's "pop" music (unless someone can give me an example). Let's face it, I have heard beginning clarinets that sounded better than Britney Spears. Tis a sad, sad, time.

5. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    only one true pop musician comes to mind, and thats vanassesa carleton, she can really play the piano. and of course some of the "classic rock" guys or "easy listening" some of them are good but thats all I can think of...oh and the backstreet boys..not

6. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Well, I don't know who she is, so that's why I didn't say her.

7. romey1

romey1 Banned

Oct 25, 2003
    out

8. brewblue1

brewblue1 New Friend

Nov 2, 2003
    Albuquerque, NM
    Doc's gig

Folks, I wouldnt worry too much about Doc. He still has the Principal Pops Conductor gig here with the Phoenix Symphony, and I believe is still the PPC with Milwaukee.

He'll have work as long as he wants it. And deservedly so!

John

9. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I hope that we have Doc around for a whole lot longer. He has accomplished many great things in his role as a performer, and leader!

Regarding the fate of the Symphony Orchestra, it has long been my opinion that much of the "blame" regarding the problems facing many orchestras, can be placed upon the Concert Reviews written by Music Critics/"experts".

It's no secret that many amongst the population attending concerts is more interested in the social aspect of attending a concert, than they are in hearing live music. Why would they have any desire to attend, when the reviews of the Music Critics are often so negative? How many people shy away from movies that are panned by the Critics? IF the concert hall were FULL... by all means, critique to your heart's content. The Critic's audience would then have the opportunity to refute what was being said.

In as much as the Music Critic's job ultimately depends upon having an Orchestra to critique, doesn't it make much more sense for them to play a major role in promoting the Orchestra? Maybe then, the Orchestra's survival rate would increase. Wouldn't that be nice to see?

Best always,
    Bruce

10. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    The critics are ruining symphony orchestras? Who are the critics and how can I get a complaint to them?

Lol, just a bit of interesting critique from the COLLEGE newspaper at Frostburg State...Last semester they said that one of the JAZZ BAND pieces, Critical Mass, a funk tune(If my memory is right), was supposedly inspired by Bach. And just because it had "Mass" in the title!!!! These people need to slightly expand their knowledge of music in general!