Doctor Freud, Help !

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dupac, May 8, 2010.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    We can but try ;-)

2. Gliss Girl

Gliss Girl Pianissimo User

Aug 31, 2009
    Portland, MI
    I don't think Freud can help! My girls, 7 and 10, both who play the piano, and accompany us to community band and chamber group practice (they play games quietly at the back of the room while we play), have decided they're tired of listening to my husband's euphonium and my trumpet in practice at home. Although we own several brass instruments, we'll have to buy new (or gently used) ones for them, since the older one wants to play sax (time to get her started) and the 7-year-old wants to be a percussionist. I'm glad we've exposed them to enough music that they are making decisions based on what they've experienced first hand, and admire real people who play those instruments. Sounds like we can mess around with some jazz after awhile, especially if my husband will learn to read bass clef and put his mouthpiece in the 'bone we borrowed from my (primarily saxophonist) brother.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Well I guess other "instruments" have their place, ....
    - Euphos and Tubas - the 'velvet cushion upon which the band sits'
    - the percussion for whatever it is that percussion does
    - the base for the bottom end with the tubas
    - trombs to play counterpoint with the trumpets
    - the horns to tickle the trumpeteers knees and keep them warm with sound
    - the saxes to make duck sounds
    - and the clarinets to act as sound deflectors for the oustandingly beautiful tones of the trumpets. ROFL

4. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    PLAY for them?:shock:

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Amen to that!! Raise them to make their own choices, and motivation will come from within.

v

6. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi, guys!

Even though I have no children (that I know of...) I'd say, be glad that your kids take a serious interest in music at all, regardless of what instrument they play. There are so many kids that are slugs and sponges, and have no creative sparks in them, that any kids who DO have that spark should be cherished and nurtured.

I could have simply been a science dweeb, but my parents encouraged, cherished, and nurtured me into music from an early age. Thus, I became a science dweeb who also plays trumpet and cornet alot, and met both of my two (serial) wives playing music. Even better the last one is also a trumpet/cornet player! :-)

Guy Clark

7. doug finch

doug finch Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2010
    Whitstable, England
    My son played Elwood in a "Blues Brothers" band and my daughter plays the fool.
    C'est la vie !!

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    At least they don't play viola!

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yesssss - there speaks VB. :thumbsup: (He had to be here somewhere - he too loiters - apparently.) ROFL

10. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    You gotta love those musical families! None of my sisters, parents, in-laws, kids, spouse, etc play anything. Be thankful that you may be able to put together a family band, or at least enjoy instrumental music in general together. Best wishes.