Doctor Freud, Help !

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dupac, May 8, 2010.

1. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    I think children conspire for the most expensive instruments. Saxophones cost big bucks as do tubas and a top end euphonium is a killer as well. Be thrilled if they only want a decent trumpet.
    One of the really outrageous things that I saw recently was a flute designed to attract very spoiled people. You could get it in high carat, solid gold or even platinum. These things were pushing $10,000 dollars and even more in some cases. Yet testing revealed that those costly metals offered zero playing advantages at all compared to common brass, plated flutes.

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    dupac sez:
    I hate opera ...
    ------
    What!! That's like saying I hate cheese, beer or sex..
    please check out Anna Nentrembko (i'm pretty sure my spelling is close but wrong).

No Dupac, You've done everything right. All your children love and play music. Job well done.

3. Bagnewauckland

Bagnewauckland Pianissimo User

Dec 2, 2008
    New Zealand
    A local music store recently had a solid gold flute with solid gold tenon caps etc. that was pushing NZ$133,000 (~USD100,000). It didn't sell in the few years it was in-store, so got sent back to the manufacturer.

It always astounds me when I see things like that. My Uncle's Fiancée is a flute teacher, and she (and many others) sound worse on solid gold (or platinum) flutes, and find it harder to play in tune etc.

4. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    Isn't that sad that there are so many companies out there trying to misuse people?

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Who is trying to misuse anybody? Why shouldn't a company build a >$100,000 instrument? Just because certain players don't get along with a concept does not mean that it is bad. In this case, the instrument even went back to the manufacturer.

Driving a Ferrari in city traffic is hell on the right leg because the clutch has a lot of tension. Is that misuse too?

Here is an independent test on such flutes built by the Muramatsu company:
    Silver, Gold, Platinum - and the sound of the flute

We would have to make a decision for ourselves whether an instrument like that is worth it. That is a personal decision. The inspiration between man and metal is far greater than many DIYers care to admit. In any cas glorybe - reading the posts is advantageous before trying to answer them.

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Markie, this is really some Freudian issue : my late father was an opera singer (baritone, ex-student of Martial Singher) and he forced me to stop the piano at 10 , after 6 years ... I'm now 66 and I still feel bad with that !

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    -----------
    I guess in your situation, music is not the healing force of the universe.
    Parents are humans too. Find me parents that haven't made a bad decision about their kids along the way and I'll show you parents that neglected their kids. The human brain is very plastic and life is very short. Quit reliving the negative.

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Our two boys don't play anything but video games:dontknow:
    My wife and I both play instruments, have since we got married. My ex played as well. so far, out of 10 grand children, only one is playing an instrument, flute, like my wife..............Buck:oops:

9. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Originally Posted by Dupac [​IMG]
    Markie, this is really some Freudian issue : my late father was an opera singer (baritone, ex-student of Martial Singher) and he forced me to stop the piano at 10 , after 6 years ... I'm now 66 and I still feel bad with that !

I'l add that my situation is doubly Freudian, since one of my sons is becoming too a baritone opera singer, a bit known in the Madrid area ; and he loves to sing exactly the same pieces I used to hear at home all my youth... But don't worry, Markie, when I said "hate", it was a lot exagerated ! Sort of humour, I think.

As for the piano, two remarks :
    1. I'm finally happy because no more piano pushed me to learn, later, guitar and trumpet... And I went back to the 88 keys while learning guitar, to explore chords and modes. Still now, when my chops are tired, I often continue on the keyboard : you know that, what horn player doesn't play some piano too ?
    2. My young daughter plays the piano better and better, and I feel like she is carrying out what I couldn't do at her age : Healing ! (humour).

Finally : I googled "Anna Netrebko" ... Hmmm ... I guess I'll watch at some videos on Youtube, at least shuting down the sound ROFL

Thanks for answering. Kindest regards.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

You need to start them out on instruments much earlier so they can't really object.:lol: Ages 3 - 5 are good for this. Any older and there's a chance they might think it's uncool.

Trust me, that's not too young ..... as long as they have the lung capacity to run a trumpet. 2 would be even better, but let's face it, they probably need to be able to stand up first.

If you think 2 is too young for a musical instrument, just ask my ex (a Suzukin violin teacher). Her best prodigy-type student ever was 2 1/2 when she announced to her parents that she wanted a violin. So, they got her one and put her into lessons. When I met this kid (age 3) she was playing Beethoven, Bach and Brahms on a 1/16 size violin (can you imagine how small that is? just try to picture it). Brahms!!! And it wasn't even the parents' idea. :-?

Okay, that's not mormal. There's wasn't anything normal about that kid but my ex told me that if a child had no memory of ever NOT playing the violin (that is, they started before around age 5) they would usually stick with it for a very long time, usually for life (even if it doesn't become their profession).

Turtle