Does a microphone plug in the receiver affect the playing characteristics of a horn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Oct 8, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I was at one of our local music stores and one of the kids that worked there showed me a trumpet she was considering buying. It was an early 70's Getzen 300. The lacquer was shot and some of the valve caps and slides were stuck. I told her she could fix it up pretty easily... long story short .. I would up doing it for a music book.
    I noticed it had a brass plug in the receiver. The plug could be taken out and a special microphone hooked up in it. This seems like a really bad design to me.
    Anyone know anything about these and the effect it has on horn the horn performs when it isn't being mic'ed.
    In case you're wondering , she loved the way the horn looked. :)

2. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Re: Does a microphone plug in the receiver affect the playing characteristics of a ho

I am not a good enough player to notice these things but I do know some players who put dimes at the bottom of valves, mess with bracing, buy weighted mouthpieces etc. I even know a player who adjusts the tightness on the little screw on the spit valve on the the tuning slide. They all claim that these adjustments, fine as they are, affect their playing, The plug has gotta have an effect. Whether you notice it or care is another question

3. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Re: Does a microphone plug in the receiver affect the playing characteristics of a ho

Something like this ?
    [​IMG]
    Btw, I am unable to answer your question ... Maybe someone else here has used this device in the 70s?

coolerdave likes this.
  4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro

yep, that mic is exactly where the plug is located. I looked to see if the mouthpiece would cover the plug location and it doesn't. Seems to me it would generate some sort of eddy in there.

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.

Probably, indeed. Miles was rich enough to have his trumpets made by pairs : one with, the other without a microphone! ;-)

6. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth

Back in that time period (I’m aging myself here) people were experimenting with ways to Mic a trumpet and drilled a hole in the side of a mouthpiece and mounted a pickup in the hole. They actually worked really good for picking up the sound, although drilling the mouthpiece ruined it. I had one made when I was working in NYC and used it for a while until I realized it was really messing with the air stream. I think I threw the mouthpiece away, it was a 14A4A and played well until I had it drilled.

7. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.

In this case (drilled receiver) it's the whole trumpet you must throw away ! :shhh:

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

My teacher had a set-up like that and it was an effects "package" used in the 70's. It made the horn sound "electrified " like a guitar. The trend didn't last long, thank goodness. If I can remember what he used, I'll post it.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

Twirling in my mind are the theories of "conductive" and "inductive". Too, in truth is all waves are not in one axis ... they rotate viz as would appear 3 dimensional if they could be viewed at an angle. Now I'll let all the great minds here on TM consider my thoughts. IMO an audio pickup should not have to pierce the instrument anywhere. External mics at either the bell or on a stand are picking up the amplifcation of the sound by the bell, yet the sound is manipulated internally by the valves and length of tubing the valves shunt the sound to, yet the origination of the sound is via the mouthpiece and leadpipe. Conduction could pick up the sound and induction could manipulate it. That is what I am perceiving.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

Sounds logical. [​IMG]