Does a microphone plug in the receiver affect the playing characteristics of a horn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Re: Does a microphone plug in the receiver affect the playing characteristics of a ho

Barcus Berry made (and makes) some amazing piezo transducer/preamp pickups. Here is an example of what they can do:

Don Ellis - Indian Lady - Tanglewood (Full) - YouTube

Not bad for 5/4....

...but the receivers were usually mounted on the mouthpiece or bell.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Re: Does a microphone plug in the receiver affect the playing characteristics of a ho

I just thought of something about Don Ellis .. I am going to hijack my own thread for a second .... so Don Ellis has a fourth valve for the quarter tone thing ... so he never used a third valve slide?

3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis

play the horn and see how it plays, if it seems OK then forget about it. [don't expect too much since it is a student line horn]

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown

Uhh, up-tempo in 5/4 with a ring modulator, I don't think anyone would notice. 134 or 1234 would work for most situations without any slide though.