Does anybody have a GPS?

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Liad Bar-EL, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Thinking about getting a GPS for my car. Anybody have one or know the +'s and -'s about them?

Thanks,

Liad Bar-EL

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I don't get lost.

3. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Yep got one of those Liad

What do you want to know? i only use the basic functions of it but i'll answer if i can.

Regards

Leigh

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    me either, just ask Alex! :-P

5. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    I have built in GPS in my recently purchased(correction, purchased is a lie, it was a dealer car) 2002 Audi A8L, i love it, it gets me right where I need to, i dont need to have an idea as to where i'm going, i just follow its instructions. The Only Downside, is everyonce in awhile it will come close to a location but not exact. I still think it's worth it though.

6. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    1) Easy or hard to set up for going to new places?

2) Does it disconnect in any places like tunnels, high voltage wires, etc and if so, does it pick up again?

3) Any particular model differences/advantages?

4) How to update for road conditions and new road developmentss?

5) How can I be assured that it will not ask me to turn down a one way street the wrong way?

6) I understand that the maps are very expensive. True?

Thanks,

Liad Bar-EL

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    LOL. Diz WAS my GPS on our trip. He only broke down once, but luckily I could read the sign that said "ATLANTA" this way ---->. LOL

Toots - :lol: "I don't get lost." Priceless.

8. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Smart man... takes his wife everywhere he goes.... :lol: :lol:

9. govtmodel

govtmodel Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Rhode Island
    GPS

1) Easy or hard to set up for going to new places? Depends on the model, some are quite easy, some are not.

2) Does it disconnect in any places like tunnels, high voltage wires, etc and if so, does it pick up again? The receiver has to be in a direct line with three or more satellites to function. It will go stupid in tunnels or in a city with many tall buildings on relatively narrow streets, i.e., Manhattan. Once it starts receiving signals it comes back to life.

3) Any particular model differences/advantages?

4) How to update for road conditions and new road developments? The provider of the maps publishes periodic updates, but road conditions are not something a GPS usually does.

5) How can I be assured that it will not ask me to turn down a one way street the wrong way? You can't, but I've not had that experience.

6) I understand that the maps are very expensive. True? In the USA, the update for mine was $30US.

Richard

10. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Technically I was still right seeing as my sense of direction was leading us towards the way we had came in to town…… ;-) ............................. :bleah:

:D