Does anyone actually practice with a mute for the purpose of playing with a mute?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Mar 5, 2013.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I had the harmon in today because I am showing my wife mercy as she has a killer cold/flu. I was noticing the differences in how the instrument played, resonated and moved across partials and the thought occurred to me that I have never ever practiced using a mute. It's always been basically plug and go. The one exception for me was the first time I had to play Lil' Darlin' in high school jazz band for a solo using a harmon.
    So has anyone ever had a teacher or even on their own worked on playing with a mute just for that purpose?

2. chaplainentrekin

chaplainentrekin New Friend

Feb 23, 2010
    Ft. Rucker, AL
    I often practice with a harmon mute (Jo-Ral bubble mute) because I like the sound and I tend to use it to solo with. I have found as an added benefit, when I work to get my sound really good with the mute in, once I take it out and play, I have a much better trumpet tone. Very full and resonant. Curious if anyone else experienced that. Go play Clarke's technical studies or Arban exercises for about 15 minutes and then see if your sans sordine doesn't sound better. - Chap

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    How else can you become familiar with the quirks of your equipment if you don't practice with it?

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Plugging our ears in a safe and easily removable way allows us to hear all kinds of interesting sounds in our articulation, cupping our left hand over our left ear lets us hear the change in timber between the valve combinations, and after warming up on a practice mute makes everything sound wonderful afterwards.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I practice with a Harmon as a matter of course - and use mutes at home at all other times. I love mutes and the different personalities they can project.

I used to practice Bugle with no mute when I first started playing - the neighbours were very good at NOT yelling at me. When I progressed to trumpet and always had a mute, the neighbours were even more friendly.

Now my neighbours do not even know I play.

6. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Lol sans sardine ROFL ROFL

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I love practicing with the Harmon in. I practice on texturing notes with it. Buy the way... a song to play for your wife on Harmon for a killer cold... would be Killer Joe. Just sayin'

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    sorry -- I hate mutes, and I detest cornets --- although I have both, and I have decent mutes and decent cornets ------ I JUST LOVE to hear the full sound out of my trumpet, my practice mute is called a trombone (a little different sounding trumpet) ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    I often practice with a harmon mute for playing without it. If I get the perfect buzz going it sounds great when I go open horn. Centered and full!

10. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    I play both a trumpet and a cornet. Love playing both. If I have solos to perform I like to practice them with both trumpet and cornet and with a variety of mutes. That way I can decide what combination will produce the sound that want for that particular solo.
    I thought everybody did this sort of thing.
    Maybe I am just kidding myself and wasting my time.

I cannot believe that somebody does not like paying a cornet. It must be the pieces you are playing.