Does anyone clean their cases?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    I hadn't thought of cleaning cases until I got my 1965 Olds. The horn is super but the case is oil stained on the inside and the outside could use a sprucing up.
    What methods are preferred to do these things?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Old cases need to be handled with TLC. If the glue has dried out, water based cleaning can do them in. There are some spray on "dry cleaning" agents that are very good for stuff like this. You can use a toothbrush to carefully work it into the fabric. As they are solvent based, the glue could "thin out", but will dry with the case and be as good as new. Test in a hidden area first.

Good luck!

3. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    Thanks Robin. How about the outside?

4. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    It depends on what the outside surface is. Fake leather, I like the Armourall all purpose cleaner.
    I suppose on the outside, your auto care store would also have what you want to clean a fabric shell case, too, such as an upholstery cleaner.

I haven't gone beyond a damp towel on my pro tech case yet.

5. Kamikaze

Kamikaze New Friend

Apr 23, 2007
    Sierras
    Yes I clean them all the time!
    As more and more people go for smaller or lighter gig bags and protec cases, I try to keep the larger hard shell wood cases.

I understand your situation with the Olds case and have tried to clean up many older cases with varying degrees of success.

Like Rowuk stated, try using dry cleaning foam or upholstery products but do not apply the chemicals directly to the velour or interior. Apply them with a soft cloth and "blot" the stains lightly and don't soak it!

A trick I've used that worked well on older cases is fine powdered cleaners like resolve or better yet, common baking soda. Lightly dust in the powder and lightly brush it in then vacuum it out with a ventilated wand that won't suck up the material.

On the exterior, I find the pre-moistened towels like Meguiars or Armor All work well followed by a dry cloth to buff in.

If you have an older and dried out leather or animal skin covering, use Lexol on a clean towel in small amounts and lightly buff it in until the richness and material softens.