Does Anyone Else Like To Practice?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jmberinger, Aug 8, 2013.

1. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Yeah. I think I started to (somewhat) like what I was hearing when I was 14 (6 decades ago!) At that point my parents no longer said I couldn't go out to play if I hadn't already practiced. But, for the early years, those parental contingencies were important.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I really get bored with nothing to do, if I don't practice ... that is on days that my wife is working and I don't have business or medical appointments to attend to. Still, most of the time my practice is just a random grab at whatever music I have available beyond my routines on etudes. To me its either like practice or quit and I hope the only time I'll quit is when my funeral is imminent.

3. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    Of course I like to practice, it is what will make me the player that I want to be....some day.

I play for my own pleasure and practicing is still playing in my book. Yes you can drive yourself nuts trying to get that passage the way you want it to sound, but doesn't it feel good when you get there?

In fact practicing, is most of my playing time.

4. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    I like to practice as far as parts I need to work on for Brass Band, or other performances, and on Etudes. I HATE working on technical studies. HATE IT. But since both types are designed to enable me to perform better, both are ultimately satisfying.

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Funny that I love etudes and excercies as a practice point.

6. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I love to practice, we have swing band rehearsal once a week and I love it when we do like we did the other night. We actually took certain sections of several songs and worked on them by section and slowly added other section, concentrating on dynamics, phrasing and articulation. When we really, I mean really come together it sounds so nice. I liken my practice to to an old saying I try to live by, LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY! So I practice 1 - 2 hours almost every day.

7. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    I never practice charts that I already know, and outside of my maintenance routine, I rarely practice things I do really well. These days I rarely have time for much more than a maintenance routine, so I have to admit that while I practice pretty much every day, I don't always enjoy it :) It is a luxury to work on things outside of the routine, so when I get that time, I tend to enjoy it more :)

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Practice is cheaper than a therapist..
    I am not sure I love the practice or love the result of a lot of practice .. probably both..
    If I had the time I could practice 5 hours a day and not get bored..
    practice is warm-ups .. technical studies .. sight reading .. etc ..classical or jazz play-alongs ...

9. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    I dunno - if you factor in all the stuff I've broken throwing my horns around in frustration... :)

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    .I like to do, try some different approaches to songs -- to make the song mine. to have my own sound --- that is the stuff I like to practice -- the stuff that makes me ME!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

(gee, I also like to scream out a few high notes on occasion -- just because I can) --- ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013