does anyone else not use the pinky ring for the right hand?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetandbass535, Nov 4, 2006.

1. trumpetandbass535

trumpetandbass535 New Friend

Nov 4, 2006
    Nazareth, PA
    Whenever I play, I don't put my pinky on my right hand in the little ring. Does anyone else besides me do this? It seems like everyone else does this.

Thanks,
    Pat

2. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    i don't do that and and i don't allow my students to. by not doing theoretically reduces pressure and something about the tendons between the ring and pinky are connected someway and it interferes with finger technique. i do find the latter to be true.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    The only time I'll use the pinky ring is when "jamming mutes", or "flipping pages.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Mine is ALWAYS in the pinky hook.

-cw-

5. trumpet520

trumpet520 Pianissimo User

Oct 25, 2006
    Oklahoma
    i dont. but it DOES seem like everyone else does even though when we all started our directors tolds us not to.

6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    I think I would go for two out of three.

I don't use the finger ring, I rest my finger on top of it (btw - Eclipse finger hooks are designed to be comfortable when played like this - it is that sort of attention to detail that sets them apart!) and haved found that my dexterity is much improved when the pinky is free - when I place it in the hook I find that the rest of my fingers seem very restricted.

I discovered this when I broke the ring off my trumpet at university and didn't have the money to get it repaired - I found it easier without, so left it off for a while.

7. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    You mean the octave key?

8. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    I rest my pinky underneath the ring. It doesn't however make contact with the ring. I find that a little extra pressure when needed isn't that bad just as long as you don't shive the horn in your face.

9. Dave

Dave Guest

ROFL

10. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Nope, I don't use the pinky ring at all---not even for swapping out mutes. If I ever custom order a horn, it won't have a pinky ring or hook.

Bill