does anyone else not use the pinky ring for the right hand?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetandbass535, Nov 4, 2006.

1. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    I had mine (pinky ring) taken off, since I had an injury to my right hand when I was young. I lack the dexterity to keep my pinky in there and operated the valves.
    ...but playing with a plunger mute is a real challenge!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I always use mine.
    I think the issue is position of your arm and hand respective to the trumpet. There are some angles that make using the hook more difficult. These angles aren't necessarily bad for your playing - only for using the hook! I have had some students with some pretty strange right hand positions however, after fixing the problem, the hook worked OK.

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I rest my pinky on top of the hook most of the time. I use the hook when doing mute changes and other tasks, but mostly my pinky is out.

4. Jon Kratzer

Jon Kratzer Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2003
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I generally rest mine on top of the ring or even above it. I found when playing passages that require great dexterity that not having my pinky in the ring helped greatly. This happened by accident actually, when my ring broke off of my Cornet when I was in 8th grade. It's been the same since then. I do, however, use it during the usual multitasks such as mutes, etc.

[​IMG]

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    In defense of us guys whose teachers did not tell them the pinky hook is just for decoration....

Al Hirt
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Clifford Brown
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cat Anderson
    [​IMG]
    Maynard
    [​IMG]
    Patrick Hession
    [​IMG]
    Some guy named Bud
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I guess I was just taught the wrong way!

Trumpet 520...None of my teachers EVER said to not use it.

-cw-

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  6. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    Hey, if God didn't want us to use that ring/hook...., he/she would never have put it there in the first place. :-)P

Yeah, that's the ticket.

7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Where do I get those Air Buds that guy is wearing?
    Wilmer

8. Jon Kratzer

Jon Kratzer Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2003
    Oklahoma City, OK
    solar,

No one ever said you were wrong, well at least I didn't. Just sharing how I play personally. Everyone is different. Can't just leave it at that.

9. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    Im guilty of being hypocrytical about it. When Im with a Student, I'm always trying to keep them out of it and using less pressure, and playing without the pinky hook myself.

Other times, I'll play with it about 60% of the time or more, without even thinking it.

10. Gogs

Gogs New Friend

Oct 18, 2006
    I always use the ring!!! I never used to at first, and it was quite uncomfortable when I first started using it, my hand was often painful after I had practiced.But somehow I resumed using it, and now my fingering(excuse the pun) technique has improved TREMENDOUSLY!!!