does anyone else not use the pinky ring for the right hand?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetandbass535, Nov 4, 2006.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I use it for mute changes, picking up the horn w/right hand, when I empty water, but not when playing, generally.

2. Foxytrpt

Foxytrpt Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2006
    Can't live without it.

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I use it.

When I was in Jr. High I got into the habit of not using it; not sure why. My band director came by and slapped my hand with his baton and told me, "The ring is on your instrument for a reason. Get your finger in it because to play not using it is just plain incorrect!)

Painfull lesson learned the pinky has not come out of the hook since.

4. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I think that the question should be "where is your thumb when you play?"

I use the pinky ring more as a rest, but my thumb is always loose against the first valve or not touching anything. The tendons don't tighten up if the thumb is correctly placed, and the fingers are free and easy if the thumb is placed against first valve.

I get really upset with my students when I see the thumb sticking up between the leadpipe and the bell. They are allowed to use the pinky ring as long as only the first digit of the pinky is inside the ring.

One last thing -- I tell them to hold the trumpet with the left hand, and play it with the right hand. And yes -- when I play in class I teach by example and I hold my instrument correctly.

5. jultone

jultone New Friend

Feb 9, 2006
    St Paul, MN
    Here is an exercise...Stretch out your hand, as if you are going to give someone a high five. Now, just try bending your pinky finger without moving your ring finger. Difficult, eh?

I always play with my pinky resting on top or not even touching the ring at all as it helps my finger dexterity and technique. I also agree with bandman in saying hold the tpt in left hand, and play with your right hand.

6. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I do this also. The exception is with quick and tricky fingerings; I keep my pinky out of the ring.

7. JonathanShaw

JonathanShaw Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2006
    I find it easier to move the fingers around qiuck on a fast lick if the pinky is out of the ring.

8. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    The only time I use the ring is to turn a page, change a mute or empty the spit valves.

While I play my pickie is never is the ring.

Warren

9. scream machine

scream machine Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2006
    Woodland, AL
    I use it some times others I don't. It doesn't really matter for me.

10. Hardnut

Hardnut Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2006
    South England
    Hmm I feel it necessary to dvulge something rather embarassing in relation to this matter, so please don't laugh at/ abuse me!!

A couple of months ago, I actually broke my pinky finger when playing the trumpet; I was using far too much pressure after a 6hour intensive with my orchestra and then encountered the most excruciating pain I've ever experienced!

So I don't use the ring any more!

But this has shown me that I have real problems with pressure, and unfortunately, I cannot play for as long/ get as high as I could with pushing via the pinky finger in the ring.

But I'm hoping it will work out for me in the long run!

Chris.