Does anyone know about Gruskin?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by md3j5, Jun 26, 2010.

1. md3j5

md3j5 New Friend

Jun 26, 2010
    Our son is starting 6th grade band next month. His instrument of choice is trumpet. A friend has a Gruskin trumpet for sale for $150. Does anyone know anything about this trumpet. I can not find anything about it on the internet. Any help would be appreciated. If you have any other suggestions, that would be appreciated also.:play:

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    There are a lot of issues to address so don't make any decision until you know more. Let's start here - Can you find out where the friend obtained the Gruskin? Maybe that will give us some clues about it. Is the friend a trumpet player? Will (s)he give an honest assessment of its quality and playing characteristics?

The problem is that there are a lot of cheap, unplayable Asian imports (we call them "TSO's" or "Trumpet-shaped objects"). Many of them have western-sounding names, even some that mimick well-known models. But, they do not play well and will not last as they are very flimsy and the parts don't fit well. So, until you know more, let's look at your options.

There are some good quality USA-made student models that are available both new and used. Kanstul, Getzen, and Conn-Selmer come to mind. In addition, there are some imports that are good quality. Yamaha and Eastman are universally praised. Jupiter gets mixed reviews as does Jean-Baptist (Sam Ash's store brand) so I can't say for sure what you will find there.

On the other front, there are many good, playable used trumpets that are available, perhaps at a store or on Craigslist, swap meets or pawnshops. The problem is that it can take time to find a good one and since you don't know the brands, you don't really know what to look for. Ebay is a crap-shoot because you can't even see the trumpet until after you pay for it. There are some members here that have some good, reasonable, tested, ready-to-play units that they may sell and at least you are buying from someone trusted and knowledgeable. But, let's start with the Gruskin. See what you can find out and post back. We'll go from there. Let us know where you live - that may provide some ideas as well.

Good luck.

3. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    Why gamble your time and $150 (and a friendship if the deal goes sour) on an unknown brand?

A few years ago I found a used Bach TR300 for $60 that was much better than the student horn I had in high school 25 years ago.

I suggest looking at your local Craig's List and local music stores that carry used gear, if there are any. Bach and Yamaha are 2 reputable brands that make decent and affordable student horns. There are others too, but those 2 brands seem to be the most prevalent, and therefore you're more likely to find a decent used horn that's still affordable (supply/demand...).

4. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I'm an adult beginner, and have less experience than almost anyone here, but, having dealt with stuff like electronics text equipment, and musical instruments too, here's my 2c.

Play is SAFE and CONSERVATIVE. Stick with known brands, like Bach, Yamaha, etc. I just picked up a Horton Collegiate from a guy for $150 and I'm very happy with it. Your local Craig's List, your local band teachers, etc will be good leads for student horns that are sturdy and play well.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Doesn't sound like a brand that I would be interested in, at any price! Getzen, Yamaha, Bach, King, Conn, Holton, Olds and B&S are however.

6. md3j5

md3j5 New Friend

Jun 26, 2010
    Thank you all for the info. If anyone else has information, I will take all opinions.

7. md3j5

md3j5 New Friend

Jun 26, 2010
    Thank you for the reply. We live in Northeast Tennessee. The trumpet was the friends daughters who used in school. That is what we told us. Not sure where they got it from.

8. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Jim Donaldson has a great page that should inform you well on quality student trumpets: Student trumpets

9. jongorrie

jongorrie Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    I agree with the other replies in this thread. I thought also to add that you can normally pick up good student quality horns (Bach, Yamaha, etc) on eBay.

Also, you can often even very good intermediate and even pro model horns at great prices - just check the seller's feedback before buying.

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    $150 will get you 5 or 6 months of trumpet rental, usually a decent student instrument from a local music store - where it is good to develop a relationship should the youngster become enamored with playing. The rental includes support for any issues which might develop with the trumpet.

If, after 6 months, the interest hasn't flagged, you will be in a much better and more well-informed position to decide about buying a horn. You will have spent the $150, but won't end up in the spot your friend is in - trying to unload a questionable, unwanted, trumpet.

asher (yes, there are 2 (at least) of us)