Does anyone know about the "Ringmute" for trumpet

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by trumpet_man, Jan 3, 2009.

1. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Don't look at the other thread, I was having computer troubles and posted duplicates. Sorry
    ------------------------------
    Anyway, it is supposed to give the trumpet a fluegelhorn/ Miles Davis sound. Here's more info on it: TRUMPET MUTE "RINGMUTE" FOR MILES/FLUGELHORN SOUND!!! - eBay (item 120356380848 end time Jan-05-09 14:13:04 PST)

Anyway, my main reason for making this thread was that I had heard someone say this: "Product was as described but you can make one of these from stuff at Home Depot", and that's all I heard. I also heard someone else say: "It's just an expensive piece of insulation.". My question here is how can you make one of these homemade? I can make a homemade bucket mute, straight mute, cup mute, harmon mute, and practice mute: all of which sound pretty close to the real thing, but look too rediculous to use in any group. How can you make a homemade ring mute? The one guys said you can make one from stuff at the home depot (I don't have a home depot in my town, but I do have an ace hardware which is basically the same thing). The other guy said it's a piece of insulation. So what materials would I need to buy? Would I need to buy insulation? Thanks

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    It looks like a piece of foam cut to fit the bell. It won't make you sound like Miles Davis. Not even close.

3. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    I never believed for a second that it would give me a Miles Davis sound or a Fluegelhorn sound, all I'm trying to do is duplicate the mutes sound. :thumbsup: But what kind of foam would I use?

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Hmm. other foam used in mutes is usually soft/slightly firm with dense cells. as cheap as this stuff is you could get several types and experiment. back in the early 1970s I redid my H & B bucket mute and used an AC filter foam to keep the cotton filler in. Worked great and I still have it.:play:

5. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    I've seen on a trombone. Nice jazz smoky sound.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I might be able to answer the question "What is a RingMute" A ringmute is a patented mute made of acoustic foam and formed into a ring. It is placed on the bell rim only, where many of the highest frequencies are emitted. What the ringmute does is to dampen and darken the brightness of the sound. Miles had a dark sound and the RingMute darkens the sound of the trumpet. Will it make a person sound like Miles? I sure hope not!!! The ringmute will make you sound like yourself with some of the ringing effect taken out. Also, beware, while its true you can purchase the materials to make a ringmute at any local hardware store, you can also purchse all the supplies you need to build a house at any local hardware store. The real devil is in putting the thing together. From the time the raw materials arrive to finished product is a week to 8 days. I use the RingMute for home practice or when playing gigs in rooms that were once only used by cheese eating John denver wanabes playing watered down soft acoustic guitar. chech out ringmutes.com and you can see better what they look like.

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    You got that right!! No mute will make you sound like Miles Davis. And no mute will make your sound not suck if your sound sucks!! However, Miles had a dark sound and the ringmute darkens the sound of the trumpet.
    If you are a bright sounding player like me, then it will be as if someone turned down the treble on your trympet but basically left the volume alone. If you are a dark sounding player, then the ringmute will make your sound even darker. For some, almost flugelhorn-ish. Hope this helps. As I tell people, it's just another way of coloring the sound you already have. Long live jazz trumpet!!!!

8. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll try to make a homemade version once I have the real one that way I can experiment that way. I was able to find out that the form is open cell urethane foam, so I should be able to find it. Thanks guys.

9. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I like this:

"2)Trumpet players can basically be divided into two types:1. Bright sounding (Maynard-like) and 2.Dark sounding (M.Davis-like)."

Obviously, we never listen to anyone else!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    OK I'll bite, How do I get a really nice trumpet for free?