Does anyone know of any good warm ups for tonguing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, Oct 12, 2009.

1. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    I warm up for range and everything else, but not tonguing. What would you guys recommend for a good warm up for tonguing.

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I use Clarke Technical Study #1 and #2. I alternate with slurs, single tongue, k tongue, double tongue. I'm curious what other people use.

3. bhipp

bhipp New Friend

Jun 2, 2005
    I've found Chris Gekker's 60 second single tongue exercise to be quite effective, both as a warm-up and as an exercise for improving single tongue speed and cleanliness.

2nd line G: Use a metronome and a clock. Find the fastest tempo at which you can single tongue that G comfortably for 60 seconds, piano to mezzo piano, breathing as necessary. For instance, on a typical day, as a warm-up, I set the metronome at 108 and and play 16th notes. I need to breathe one time during the 60 seconds. I take a quick breath that takes up one beat. (When I first started doing this exercise my breaths took 2 beats, but I learned to take faster breaths.)

Now, if you want to continue past warm-up to actual improvement and development, here's what has worked for me:
    After the first minute, I rest one minute. Then I crank up the metronome one notch to 112 and do it again. Rest a minute, crank it up one notch and do it again. When I reach the point that I can't do it, I'm done for the day. Next day, I start over again. I don't start the day at 120. I need to warm up my single tongueing, so I start usually at 108. If I'm out of practice I'll start at 104 or even 100 - wherever it needs to be to work.

Keep the tension out of your playing. Focus on doing this exercise (and all playing, for that matter) as relaxed as possible. Unless playing relaxed is 2nd nature for you, it can take real focus to achieve this...especially when playing something new.

Not only has my maximum speed improved, but more importantly (imho) the cleanliness, accurace and consistency of my single tonguing has improved markedly. When I am doing this consistently and daily, I get up to about 124 bpm. Not the fastest single tongue in the west, but fast enough, and clean and accurate.

On a related note, for me, articulation demands constant attention. Without daily practice it atrophies quickly. In my experience, this is true for many players.

I hope that this is helpful. Good luck.

oldenick likes this.
  4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Ditto.

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    TMan,

I have said it more than once on the forum, the distinction between a warm-up and daily routine must be made clear. What you actually look for (or at least I believe so) is a good daily routine. The Clarke suggestion was excellent. I never tried this Gekker's stuff, but sound like something to try. Do not forget your Arban - there is tone of excellent exercises which if played properly and with care will help your tonguing. Then do not forget your limits - there is lots of trumpet players out there who do not have a very fast single tongue, but who have learnt compensate this weakness with excellent multiple tonguing...

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    5 years of serious practice is the best warm up there is. To be honest, I stopped "warming up" in high school. I didn't play any worse once got used to it and had more chops for the concert.

If you have a decent routine most every day, a couple of notes and scales is more than enough. No sense in building up psychological dependencies!

7. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Thanks for all the great advice. My tonguing was once upon a time by far my best area and I never had problems with it. Lately, it has been going down hill further and further, and so have my other abilities. Just now, everything, tonguing included, got much better after I cleaned my mouthpiece out :oops:. Hopefully, that was the problem, I kind of think it was. I've been using spitballs a lot, but never put any thought into the mouthpiece. Thanks.

rowuk, I believe you, but as far as warming up goes, that isn't the best way for everyone. Some people, like you, don't need to warm up, but others do. I am terrible before I've been warmed up.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maybe true, but then again I don't know how carefully you treat every note every day. Many times THAT is our biggest problem!

9. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    You might be on to something...

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't do specific warm ups for tonguing but, I do warm up. I find that I play better when I can warm up. There a lot of times when I can't so I have something to compare.

For warm ups I use the etudes at the end of each section in Clark. Usually 2 or 3 of them.

For the first 4 or 5 lines I just play what ever comes out about MP. Then I start thinking about my corners and breathing. By the end of the first etude I'm usually playing pretty well. Still loosening up I go to the next.

Now I'm thinking about breathing, corners and making sure the notes are even. About half way through the second one I start to make sure I'm playing musically. Usually by the end of the second one I'm ready but, I play a third just for the heck of it.