Does anyone know of any good warm ups for tonguing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, Oct 12, 2009.

1. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    I bielive that anything past long tones, generic lip slurs, and buzzing aren't warmips. Things like tounging ,as stated, should be worked on every day even if you find your ability good enough down the road you will fall in the same loop of I need to improve on xyz.

Also make sure that you change your daily routine occasional. My first trumpet teacher warned me of the pleatu effect and can be dealt with some routine changes and paying more and more attention to each individual note in an excersie and obviously playing more difficult excersies.

2. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    If you're in marching band, look around and find the hottest cheerleader and (assuming she's willing) go from there.:thumbsup: Also helps with dry mouth.

3. bhipp

bhipp New Friend

Jun 2, 2005
    By the way trumpet_man, in case you are unfamiliar with the name, Chris Gekker is a well known and highly respected trumpet teacher. He's written a few books in the mainstream of trumpet methodology, including a respected book on articulation called Articulation Studies. If you Google his name you'll find plenty. I believe that the 60 second exercise I explained in my first post is indeed from Mr. Gekker's Articulation Studies. Of course it is not a be-all and end-all exercise. It is one tool. And it has proven to be an effective tool for me and many others. Also, for me, articulation warm ups are a part of my daily warm up routine, along with flexibility and range. The tongue is a muscle, after all.

peace