does Calicchio make a Martin?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by jamesfrmphilly, Jan 13, 2004.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    just curious

2. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Of course, you know that Lawler and Marcinkiewicz do?!

Dave

3. jamesfrmphilly

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    yes, i was wondering if calicchio did also.
    there can never be too many martins.

4. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    ????

I though "Martin" was now made by the LeBlanc company, or are you guys refering to these other companies making Martin copies, oe Martin inspired designs? :?

5. jamesfrmphilly

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    i was referring to martin clones or martin based designs.
    i don't consider the Leblanc version as a "real" martin.

6. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    Calicchio makes the R37 all-copper trumpet. That should get you pretty close to 'dem old Comittees.

7. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Were the Committees copper? I never heard that, but I've never really been into Martins.

Dave

8. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hi everyone,

The original Martin Committee’s been a poly-bore or stepped -bore design.â€Step bore" designs is when the bore of the horn expands through the leadpipe, tuning slide and tuning slide bow, and valve slide bows, to the straight tubing and actual bore size opening up the horn and making it freer blowing

Example of modern day poly-bore / step-bore design’s are the Reeves V- Raptor , The Callet Jazz ( .470 bore ) , the Schilke B1,B2, B4, , B6 , B7 , The Lawler Martin and the Marcienk. “ Coppola Model ( .468 ) and I believe the Yamaha 6310 Z “ Bobby Shew “ model based on the Schilke B6 and B7 models.

None of Calicchio’s are a poly-bore design so the closest model, I my opinion, that would sound and play like a Martin would be a 3/9 large bore with a reversed leadpipe design ( .468 ) for the #3 LB Martin and a 1s/9 med. bore( .453 ) reversed leadpipe for the Standard Martin.

The poly-bore designs give the slots a very distant and slippery feeling that lent itself to the 50’s jazz players that wanted to “ bend “ and “ express “ the feeling and mood of the piece they played. A very long leadpipe (which is what a Martin Committee has as it expends thru the tuning slide) will let you play very fluidly and silky, plus have all the notes speak very distinctly when playing very fast lines.

It takes a very special and complicated (mathematical) die to bend a flaring tube 180 degree’s and keep the actual measurements needed as if it was still straight. (a die is two pieces of metal that when put together, like a sandwich, would have the O.D. of the tubing measurements required so a straight tube can be bent and forced hydraulically (or with lead, pitch or resin) to those measurements hoping the consistency of the thickness of the metal stays constant so the ID of the pipe is consistent to the increasing diameter required)

Larry