Does Chop Saver really work?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 1stTrumpet, Nov 5, 2009.

1. 1stTrumpet

1stTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2009
    I've had Chop Saver before and it seems like it works but how do I know that Carmax or something doesn't do the same thing?

2. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    if im correct, the camphor extract in carmex numbs your lips and is believed to be bad for a brass players lips, plus it doesnt have to moisturizing powers of chopsaver, i use mine everyday, it is better then any other balm or chapstick

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Chopsaver beats anything else out there.

4. tutin_trumpeta

tutin_trumpeta Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Easy answer.... you don't until you've tried them.
    I used to use Chopsaver all the time and I, personally, recommend trying it. The only reason I stopped using it was because I kept forgetting to put it back in my case after I'd used it at home. I tried other things such as Vaseline and Chapstick and other things like that but I found them a little too greasy although another trumpet player that I know uses Vasleine all the time. I do use Carmex but not before playing... I tend to use it after a heavy gig or rehearsal or just when the English weather is just damn cold to stop my lips chapping.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That is like asking if aspirin works.

ChopSaver has well advertised properties and many players can confirm that they are not exaggerated.

I do not like to play with anything on my chops. It makes them artificially slick and that makes me uncomfortable. When I go outdoors when it is cold, I use it because it tastes OK and keeps my lips from chapping. It wipes off pretty easily before playing and that is an advantage to me over commecial lip balsams that are more "permanent" in nature.

So any response has to be measured by its qualification. For the sake of argument, plain old Vaseline "works" as does most commercial products. The mix of "features" may not be suitable for your playing. That is why CHOICE is a blessing and a curse. Choice means that we can decide for ourselves, but also means that WE have to do the leg work to collect information for a good decision. Because somebody else says so is a pretty dumb reason.

6. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    well my wife the pharmacist always tells me the less medicaments the better

I had a problem with lips few weeks ago and I solved it with a kitchen oil. If you have olive oil even better.

Thats it plain and simple, forget industrial medicaments, everything you need is in the kitchen

7. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I never really liked chop saver very much. Left my lips feeling waxy and the mouthpiece would slip around, even hours after use, and no matter how little I used it always left a taste in my mouth and dried out my throat.

I have used Burt's Bees Hand Salve, Burt's Bees Hand Salve - 3 oz. at REI.com, I found that I like it better when I " have" to use something.

8. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    double post.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  9. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    Chop Saver is great!!!! I use it when I arise and before retiring. Haven't had chapped lips since I began using it in this way.
    Roy Griffin

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Not sure I totally agree with this. I agree that there are many people who have given honest feedback about ChopSaver. But I've also seen many exaggerated claims.

Absolutely. Any hydrating agent will work just fine, since hydration is really the only significant benefit you will get from any of these products. Everything else is anecdotal and based on personal testimony. So in the end, it depends on personal preference. If you like a product, if you think it helps, then use it. But beyond hydration, I'd take any claims with a grain of salt.