Does Chop Saver really work?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 1stTrumpet, Nov 5, 2009.

1. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    How does chopsaver scientifically work?

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
  3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I have asthma and ChopSaver really irritates my breathing, I won't use it.

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    It wasn't any more effective than Chapstick for me.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Technically, there is no legitimate scientific proof that it works at all. This is not unique to ChopSaver, but is true of most "natural" or "herbal" products.

As s.coomer suggested, their web site contains a list of ingredients along with their possible benefits. But the web site carefully makes no direct claims. They instead uses personal "testimony" from satisfied users or medical professionals. Again, this is because, as with most "natural" or "herbal" products, there is no legitimate scientific proof.

As I said eariler, the only accepted medical benefit from lip balms is for the prevention and treatment of chapped lips. Any lip balm containing petrolatum or beeswax or something similar will do this. (I suppose UV protection would be the only other accepted medical benefit, for lip balms with UV protection.)

This is not to say that the other testimonial claims of these products are inaccurate. They're just unproven.

In addition, as Solar Bell and frankmike alluded to, sometimes less is more. The more ingredients in a lip balm, the more chance of allergic reaction or asthma flare in susceptible people.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  6. y-o-y

y-o-y Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2009
    Long Beach, CA
    I can't play with chapstick or anything like it on my lipfs, but I do like it because it goes on on thinner then the alternatives.

7. trumpmac

trumpmac Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I don't remember who told me to do this but it was in College. I get liquid vitamin e caplets, poke o hole in them with a straight pin. Squeeze out some Vitamin e juice and apply it to the lips. Tasteless and oderless Cures chapped lips quickly and prevents them if used proir to chapping. A bottle lasts forever. As like many others here I prefer my lips dry when playing so I've never tried that. Just my $.02

8. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    I've got asthma too but It doesn't irritate me. I apply the ChopSaver after I play, not while I'm playing so maybe thats the reason. I always wipe off all of it off my lips before I play.

To the OP: Best lip product I've ever tried, regardless of whether you are a trumpeter or not.

9. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    I tried one tube of it and found it to be pretty similar to a lot of other lip balms. The taste was ok, but I didn't get on with the feel of it. My preferred lip balm is Blistex Complete Moisture. It seems to have a lighter feeling on the lips.

10. mrbill00

mrbill00 Pianissimo User

Apr 20, 2009
    Middle of Georgia
    i've been using Carmax Mint....3 for like 3.20 at Walmart...works a lot better
    than Chapstick and cheaper too...i just cant see 5.00 per tube...
    i wipe everything off before i play, seems to work ok