Does Herb Alpert sing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Sep 29, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    "This Guy's In Love With You" on a Herb Alpert album ..... Is that him singing???

Turtle

2. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Cool video. Funny thing is the fake singing and playing. It takes talent to do that.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    That's impressive, even if he is lip synching in the video .... That's the record version they're playing in the vid.

He's a pretty good singer, I wonder why he didn't do more of it? You gotta love him sitting in the huge letter H.

Trumpeter par excellence, singer, and major music label founder. A Renaissance kind of guy. :thumbsup:

Turtle

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    No, I was serious about it taking talent. There was rarely live music then (maybe now too) so it took practice so people "didn"t" know. :D

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Oh, I know it's hard. When it's done well, you really can't tell. I only know with this one because I instantly recognized the recording. You can't fool another musician into thinking that they're doing on live TV, what was already done in the studio.

But, back then, I had no idea. I think it was Milly Vanilly who burst the bubble for audiences at large.

Turtle

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Actually, Alpert never made it to #1 on any of his trumpet songs with TJB. But with the singing on This guy's... He made it to #1 on the charts.

8. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    It was often said of Alpert back then: "As far a s singers go, he's not a bad trumpeter". Rick Braun has also ventured into vocalizing as well, with not particularly great results. Armstrong was a great singer who also happened to be a great trumpeter.

9. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Herb is one half of A&M Records as the other half was Jerry Moss.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Alpert and Moss??? They made a good choice to go with the letters only. :lol:

That's a funny quote about Herb's singing .... "As a singer, he's not a bad trumpeter." Hahaha ..... I love it. Really, though, it is my favorite version of this heavily covered song. For some reason, I always thought it was somebody else singing the song, like Burt Bacharach. But, it's Herb!

And Satchmo? Yes, he was a great singer, I was a huge fan of him before I ever started listening to his trumpeting. Louis was just a unique, one-of-a-kind phenomenon.

Turtle