Does Herb Alpert sing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Sep 29, 2012.

1. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    From what I have read, the vocal recorded was just a one-off for a TV special. There were so many phone calls it got released. It remains one of my favorite songs, from the dirty electric piano (you can tell it's a 'real' one...) to the hushed drums to the really honest vocals - and the trumpet - simplest of lines but so effective. It's a 'desert island' song for me.

2. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    I'm a Herb fan, too (see my reply to you on the subject of his trumpet style, dorkdog), but more a fan of his playing than his singing. By the way, he is currently married to a singer!!

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    correct. She was the lead singer for Sergio Mendez and Brazil '66:oops:

4. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Is it true that Herb Alpert was the only person to win Grammies for both vocals and instrumentals?

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    No, he was the first and ONLY person to have a Top 100 in each category - vocal for This Guy's in Love and instrumental: Rise.

6. Vega Power

Vega Power Piano User

Dec 9, 2011
    Florida
    Listening to Christmas LPs today and "This guy..." is not the only vocal of Herb Alpert. He sings a couple songs on the Herb Alpert and the TJB Christmas album from 1968. Cool stuff!!!

7. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    Herb Albert and "The Herb Albert Foundation" have donated 10's of millions of dollars to youth and arts education (as well as environmental causes). This includes $30 million to the UCLA School Of The Arts And Architecture, and $24 million to CalArts. A truly great man.

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    One of the vocals on that '68 Christmas album is "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle". To my ears, the lyrics aren't that clear. At least on cable's Sound Of The Season here:dontknow::roll::oops:

9. Vega Power

Vega Power Piano User

Dec 9, 2011
    Florida
    I'm listening to it on vinyl. The whole thing sounds great. Herb's singing on "the Christmas Song" is akin to listening to Moon River sung by Audrey Hepburn... nothing short of perfect for the song itself, and the way it was meant to be.