Does it ever feel easy?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MahlerBrass, Nov 13, 2005.

1. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Hello there! After my constant struggle to play with an equal tone throughout all the registers of the trumpet, there are signs of definite improvement in my playing and tone. I now feel that my high Cs and Ds sound as good as my mid Cs and Ds, but the problem is that they don't feel easy yet. So I was just curious, does it ever get to the point where you have no problem belting out high notes. I can play pretty high relaxed and effortless in a practice room at a comfortable volume, but if I have to play those high notes in the context of Copland's 3rd for example, it would still sound decent, but I'll be pushing myself pretty hard, so, with the use of that example, was the second movement (or the whole piece at that) of that particular symphony something you considered to be physicaly easy? It sure sounded like it, but I was just curious how you felt afterwards. Was it a walk in the park, or did you go home and ice yourself down? And if it was pretty easy for you, which I'm assuming it is, what are the methods used to get to that point? Thanks a lot!

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    If it was easy evryone would be doing it...........

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, there's a pretty long distance between a walk and the park and having to ice one's self down. Let's put it this way: I wasn't having any trouble with it but you have to concentrate and keep your inspiration level up very high during recordings.

What's nice is that in the Minnesota Orchestra we have about a half dozen Swedish masseuses that keep us limber between takes by contract. A vigorous lip and face massage is available to us during these sessions and it's very helpful.

I told you I love this job...

ML

4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Describe vigorous for us.......';-)'

5. MalinTrumpet

MalinTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2004
    New York City
    Manny:

Is that blond who was in The Producers still one of the masseuses? ("Bialystock and Bloom")

Larry M.

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Actually, I was thinking more like Jamie Le Curtis as "Inga, from Sveden. yah?"

Dan Akroyd is one lucky boy, that's all I can say.

ML

7. Umyoguy

Umyoguy New Friend

Feb 1, 2005
    Kalamazoo
    I used to talk about this kind of thing all the time with Mr. Rommel, my teacher at IU. (the easy part, not massages! At least when we weren't playing golf, anyway).

He would always tell me to make things sound right, and that my body would eventually figure out the most efficient way to acheive the desired sound.

After a couple years, I find that he is right, and that when things are working, there are times when extremely "difficult" passages come out with little to no effort - That's not to say there isn't a great amount of concentration or intensity, but there are times when you just sit back and think "Man...That was too easy."

Now, I don't know whether once you get to Mr. Laureano's (or Mr. Rommel's) level that goes away and everything becomes easy, or changes in another way, but I can tell you from my experience that it's an intoxicating feeling, and it's what keeps me coming back for more.

Jon

8. joshuasullins

joshuasullins Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    This seems like a cop-out of a response, but honestly, practice. Practice is the only answer. Will those high notes get easier. Yes. Absolutely. But you will have to put in the time and practice on upper register studies. Range is a cummulative thing. Eventually you will be talking about, "whether double G's will ever be easy"

Don't worry! Just practice!

and is that true about the masseuses?!

V/R
    Joshua Sullins

9. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Manny, you dog you....:-)
    greg

10. Manny Laureano