Does it sound like a cornet ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lionelsax, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
  2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
  3. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    Thank you... I understand what you mean but the examples you gave me despite they are very good sound very classical to me. I see you are a really expert in classical and maybe baroque music, I guess you are a professional.
    Well I will try to play it in A minor as they do in order to try the other range and see if I can get a kind of classical sound, this is the best way to get a really sound, classical technique.

Hum...

I would like to get this sound : michel Marre : We Will Be Together Again.mov - YouTube

A mixture between a flugelhorn and a trumpet...

Sometimes, my cornet sounds like a trombone, what's happening ? Is it a kind of pedal note ?

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    What mouthpiece are you using? Maybe try a bit deeper cup with a big throat to darken your sound?

5. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    I'm using a Bach 6.

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    ...which is a fairly small mpc with a shallow cup... maybe you should go on a mouthpiece safari? Perhaps something like the #4 Denis Wick Cornet?

7. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
  8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    To be honest, the volume is down on my playback and also, is your recording equipment professional level? Otherwise, it's hard to really be definitive about a playback on the internet.

Having said that, in the jazz vein that I think you're interested, listen to Nat Adderley. Freddie Hubbard does some killin' cornet playing on "Empyrian Isles".

Don't know who this guys is, but I like his approach. The C.G. Conn 28A Connstellation Cornet - YouTube I realize that it's a long cornet, but sound is sound. Just like, if I were going to play music from the bop, hard bop, post bop on cornet, I'd also listen to Art Farmer on his Flumpet.

There's a really nice recording of Ted Curson playing cornet on an album from the 60s or 70s but I'm afraid I can't remember the title. Maybe someone reading this would know.

9. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    Yes, I've got the album... And no, the way I'm recording is not professional, I do as I can, that's why it stinks.

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    ... so not much volume for its depth, and a narrow throat....?