Does it sound like a cornet ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lionelsax, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Stick a ratty old used Wick 4 in there and give it a go. Then find a ratty, used, old, Wick 4B and give it a go.

2. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Sounds a lot more mellow than the one before (Summertime) so you're on the right track, in my opinion. It still has a trumpety 'edge' to it to my ears, but that may be because I'm listening with a different cornet sound in mind. I think a lot of it now might just be down to refining the sound through practice.

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    This thread has disappointed me a bit, although it's been pretty informative in the process. It's obvious that there are some who not only have a myopic idea that there is a true cornet sound, but are even somewhat nationalist about it, as well. The cornet is a tool. The end goal is what determines its sound.

Eleven pages of this? Really?

4. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    So basically, you're posting about how disappointed you are, rather than offering an opinion on the last video. It's not all about you, dear.

5. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    I don't know how to think, iy's my third mouthpiece, I've got a Bach 6 (good but too small and bright), the one which comes with the cornet, I don't really know the size but both seem to be too small for me.
    The one I use now is a Schilke 16, everything is standard, it's said it's a big mouthpiece, well, I don't think so...
    I saw a comparative chart about mouthpieces, the Wick 4B is not so big.
    Hum... Well I don't want to get a British sound, I have listened to brass bands on the web, it's beautiful but I really think that British brass bands are to emulate instruments from other families, cornets emulate oboe and English horn, euphonium cello... It is not so "brassy".
    Maybe I need a trumpet or a flugelhorn... I don't know... Médéric Collignon has got his concept about cornet... Is it a trumpet, a flugelhorn, maybe a trombone ? Not at all, it's a cornet.
    http://youtu.be/ES0PxtZtvKU

6. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    I don't like small mouthpieces either, which is one reason I suggested Stork. I'm also puzzled why so many people like DW 4. DW are also uncomfortable and sharp on the lips, I find. I don't know where you could go from here, but at this rate you'll spend more on mouthpieces than you did on the cornet.

Médéric Collignon - horrible sound! If you want to emulate that, may I suggest a mouthiece in a length of dirty garden hose, or a plastic watering can? Having said that, there was a video posted a couple of weeks ago of someone playing a garden hose and it sounded better than that!

7. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
  8. lipnutz

lipnutz Pianissimo User

Dec 17, 2013
    If no one had said "cornet" before listening to it, not sure anyone would have. But it is "fat" like most trumpets aren't.

9. lipnutz

lipnutz Pianissimo User

Dec 17, 2013
    <delete>

10. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    You can hear it's a cornet when he plays in the "high" register, it is not so clear, not really accurate.

Maybe you will think the same thing with this video.
    http://youtu.be/9vGLpPFc0Q0