Does it sound like a cornet ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lionelsax, Oct 23, 2013.

1. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Can you post a bit of the other one where it isn't just random noise, or progressive whatever, where they actually sound alike? I'm not listening to the whole of that shit just to prove you right, so you'll have to help me here. From what little I could bare at the beginning, it sounded awful. If you want to sound like that, hook up one of your sax mouthpieces to your cornet.

Your tone has improved a lot using the Shilke. What are you now not satisfied about? Just work with it until you reach a stage where you feel it either suits the sound you want, or you've exhausted it enough to realise that you might need something else to get that exact sound you want. Like I wrote before, it seems you are really most of the way there.

By the way, Mark Charig - nice sound. But it just sounds like a trumpet. Those long cornets with no SCs are basically short trumpets anyway. We've had this debate before on the forum.

2. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Yank.

'Nuff said.

3. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    Yes, but you have to wait for 2 minutes, the guy sings a lot.
    And it's a pocket cornet !!!
    http://youtu.be/ddnkI-EAGWo

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Let's just face facts...cornets and trumpets are the same thing (re. Professor Bob Pixley). It's the player, and to a lesser extent, the mouthpiece, that make them sound different (or the same). A better question might be "Does this sound like a cornet player?"...;-)

5. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    I think I'll pass.

6. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Using that logic, Dale, a trumpet is also a flugelhorn.

I can prove you wrong on so many levels!

7. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Edit - OK, it's a different video, I will have a listen. Need to grab a stiff one first.

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Shhhhhhh... I'm stirrin' the pot...

Anyway, Professor Pixley says trumpets and trombones are the same thing, too, so I don't see what your problem is.

9. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    OK OK, I explain my problem, I'm sorry for the girl who is playing, I do not want to sound like this Cornet solo Summertime - YouTube
    And for a lot of people here the cornet should sound like this, this is the typical brass band sound, the sound I can't stand.
    Despite what I said she plays well.

10. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Stirring is my job, thank you very much.

And Pixley is a Yank.

'Nuff said.