Does it sound like a cornet ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lionelsax, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Calling someone from Alabama (Prof. Pixley teaches at Peedwater Community College in Herrodsburg, Alabama) a "Yank" is fightin' words down here...yanks are people from up north...:lol:

2. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    Now there are talking about the American Civil War...:oops:
    I know the cornet is a military instrument but... No one has read what I said... What I wrote... sorry.

3. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    That is very typical of brass band arrangements. She has a very nice tone actually, but the piece seems orchestrated rather than from the 'soul'. British band palyers tend to be taught to 'colour inside the lines' and always play exactly as is (which is vital for contests etc.) but this stifles creativity. I used to be like that too, so I know where you are coming from.

4. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Colonials, then.

I know you got me with that trumpet/cornet thing, I have to concede, but don't be a dick by basking in it too long!

Yanks to us = Americans. To me it means 'people who can't play cornets properly'.

Geez! Who burned the White House anyway!!!

5. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Sorry Lionel, just trying to throw some humor into a no-win discussion. A cornet sounds like it sounds. The range can run from trumpet to almost flugel-like. Play it with the sound you want and don't worry about it - the soul and musicality are what matter in jazz.

6. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Don't trust him, Lionel. He comes on here all sweet, old grand-daddy with his Santa beard and his vintage instruments, but really he's a troublemaker!

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    My advice: sell the cornet; buy an old saxhorn and a shotgun.

The saxhorn to play any blessed way you like, and the shotgun to deal with anyone who tries telling you what a saxhorn should sound like ;-)

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    (editing function is acting up again and I can't edit my post. So . . . it's Ger..., not Gar....)

WT_? What's this doing up here and not below my post below? And why can I edit here and not there? Weird cyber-gremlins.

9. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    My post you're referring to was largely tongue-in-cheek. However, I think modern cornets are somewhat closer to trumpets than they are to flugelhorns.

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Yep. And my "(groan)" wasn't meant as an insult, BTW.
    In this cornet/trumpet conversation, though, another interesting comparison as you mention flugelhorns, is the audible difference, or lack sometimes thereof, between a Garman Fl├╝gelhorn and a trumpet as played in some German community bands. Like the cornet/trumpet similarities, sometimes the Fl├╝gelhorn/trumpet lines get also blurred.