Does it sound like a cornet ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lionelsax, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    Oh yes, the throat is incredibly narrow ! It is a good think because I helps me not to play too loud, I can play really really loud you know. My wife cannot stand the cornet, when I was recording she was calling me for dinner, she loves disturbing me, that's why I don't look comfortable on the video.

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Mrs Seth likes ABBA.

I find a couple of verses of Winner Takes it All or Dancing Queen now and then work wonders for marital compatibility ;-)

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Lionel, another thing. Articulation can have a direct influence on tone, also.

Your heart's in the right place and you get off some nice licks, but do some transcribing of easy solos and pay attention to the articulations. You might want to start with Miles' solo on "So What" from the Kind of Blue album, for example. Also, do you know Miles' "Summertime" on his "Porgy and Bess" album? His range might be a little much for you at times, but listen to his phrasing and articulations. This might be another candidate for easy transcription.

Also, note and scale choice can also influence colour. You might consider using a melodic minor scale towards the end of some of the phrases when it resolves to the tonic. You don't have to stick to the mode you are playing in.

4. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    I know what you mean, I know a bit about articulation (I'm a saxophonist) but the problem is that I began the cornet in March 2012 on my own and I cannot play what I want, my lack of technique and practise let me on the ground.
    Sure I know Miles Davis...
    Well, not only minor melodic, the minor harmonic sounds great on 2 5 1.

But with all these advices, I hope I will fly soon.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The Bach 6 is a fairly deep cornet piece, and it has the 24 "symphonic" backbore. That said, a bigger, deeper, more open mouthpiece will give you a richer cornet tone.

6. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Some comments for things you might want to think about:

1) Maybe try more intervals, seems like you move by steps and halfsteps a lot. Try practicing arpeggios, and scales in thirds, forths, fifths?

2) Maybe try changing the direction of your line more -- surprise us with going up or down unexpectedly. One phrase can change direction once, twice, or many times.

3) Maybe try varying the length of phrases: long ones, short ones. I love to listen to John Coltrane build his phrases: tiny fragments get assembled into long complex structures. Slow simple phrases are punctuated by quick flurries that comment on them.

7. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Good tips, Honkie!

And also maybe keep the music sheet in front of you
    with the harmonies written on that sheet.

It´s obvious that you have a good ear for music and improvisation,
    and if you combine that with some more theory and using scales/notes
    that fit into the written harmonies at those moments when you feel that
    your own improvising is the most unsecure, then you will go far, that´s for sure!

Good luck and keep at it, Lionelsax!

8. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    I've only got a range of 2 octaves but they are not prayable everytime and I think everybody here knows why :D.
    That's why my solos are so simple...
    But, in order to reach something more interesting like I do on the saxophone.

http://youtu.be/2P1R9W9A2XE

I will work about series and exploit all the particularities a brass instrument has, several notes for one fingering, etc.

9. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
  10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Sopranp cornet I know but this is cornet playing for me at its best
    Brian Evans plays Summertime - YouTube

It will give you an idea of what I would expect from a cornet. Please bear in mind this is a fairly old recording