Does it sound like a cornet ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lionelsax, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    A Bach 6 cornet mouthpiece would be quite deep. At least my Bach 6 trumpet mouthpiece is!

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    A Bach 6 trumpet mpc is one of my favs. Mine is so old (c. 1950s) that I had to have it re-plated by Anderson. It and a Blessing 5C are routinely used both for practice and recording. IMO it mellows the tone, but kills much of my high range above the staff as when chosen I seldom need.

3. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    There is not a whole lot of difference I can hear between a jazz cornet and jazz trumpet sound. There is no evidence that I know of where early jazz players played with the "classic" cornet sound--if anything, the bodacious new style called for a bright and loud sound. The Getzen cornet, even though it has a Shepherd Crook is a bright instrument and the instrument of choice for Dixieland players. What we end up with is some cornetists that sound brighter than trumpeters.

5. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    Very interesting, some of them play Eb cornet or maybe piccolo trumpet. I think, the cornet is an underevaluated instrument...
    This is a new video of my dark rotten sound...
    http://youtu.be/jmhDdUkFmZM
    I think it sounds like a very bad flugelhorn.:lol:
    But I love the flugelhorn.

6. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    Can I do what I have to do way too often and display my ignorance? I don't think I ever heard the term soprano cornet before, what is it? Is it a 'C' version of a cornet?:dontknow:

If it is, why don't they just say so.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm just guessing, but I'm just thinking a lot of the vintage cornets may have been in high key rather than A = 440 as is common now, and thus the term "soprano" came to designate. Then too, with the right mouthpiece they darken to approach a flugel mellow tonation.

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Soprano cornet in brass band speak is an Eb cornet.

9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    And the Winner is Mr Proctor. Eb Soprano Cornet the icing on the Brass Band Cake. Oh and nowt like a Flugel in sound.

10. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    Dale,

Do you have any pictures of such animals? This rather intrigues me, I thought that recording was haunting.