Does it sound like a cornet ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lionelsax, Oct 23, 2013.

1. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Sorry, Lionelsax, all I'm hearing is 'trumpet' on all the videos, except the sax. This is an issue I find a lot of trumpet players seem to have, especially American cornet players because they aren't used to the sweet cornet sound associated with British cornet playing. Give a trumpet player a cornet and he or she will play it like a trumpet, which is fine if it's a long cornet, but is sacrilegious if it isn't. The technique is different, but difficult to explain. It's more restrained and controlled. Expect more back pressure and a less 'open' blow and adapt accordingly.

I'm a bit guilty of this too, now I play the trumpet far more than I play the cornet. If I've been playing the trumpet hard for a session, and try to move immediately onto the cornet, I find I'm treating it too harshly. I try never to play the trumpet and cornet on on the same day.

I've got a long cornet too and it's great for playing trad jazz, but it doesn't sound like my other cornets.

2. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
  3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    That's why I start all of my brass beginners who want to learn trumpet on a cornet first - a shepherd's crook cornet. If they can master the soft tone approach on the cornet, they won't lose it on trumpet, whereas the other way round, they will never really get it. Look at the best Classical trumpet players - Maurice André, Guy Touvron, Tine Thing Helseth, Hakan Hardenberger - they all started on cornet, and it shows in their tone.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
  5. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I wish I would have had a resource such as this when I was kid starting up, I am just now learning about some of the finer points of the cornet. I would suggest though that a lot of the issue of tone is again related to the player. Tone is one of the few things that I have had going for me in my trumpet playing (at least that is what I have been told by other musicians). I am now playing a long cornet mostly and that has caused me to start learning the real differences between trumpets & cornets. I think my tone has improved along with the ability to become more expressive. I think the trumpet is flashier looking and I suppose most young students, American at least, think the same thing and that is why most don't start on cornet.

6. Masterwannabe

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
  7. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    They're mostly all Eb cornets. Other than the shorter slides and bell, the easiest way to tell the difference is the leadpipe - it goes directly into the 3rd valve with no rearward-facing tuning slide loop. They are typically tuned with a sliding mouthpiece bit.

8. Masterwannabe

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    All I can say is WOW! :-o I certainly have learned my new thing for the day (I do try to learn something new everyday). Now I feel like I have to try to acquire one.:roll:

9. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If you have the money, buying one is easy. Playing one isn't...

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> <meta name="description" content="Yamaha Neo Soprano Cornet YCR-8620S02. The new Yamaha Neo Eb Soprano Cornet is an 8000 series instrument and replaces the current Xeno Soprano

I'm not Dale but this is a good representation of what a pretty standard Sop Cornet looks like. I've only ever had my hands on a Besson Sov one and I was really suprised at how freely it blew. I was expecting it to be quite tight but it was no more difficult than my JP Bb cornet.