Does it sound like a cornet ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lionelsax, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    You're over-egging your cake a bit here, Lionel. Acceptably tuned valve trumpets have been around since 1850-ish. Other than Berlioz (his early years at least) the composers I mentioned had the choice of both, and scored them according to their very different tonal qualities.

Not on my watch!!!!

I suspect that if all 'long cornets' were renamed 'short trumpets', most of the confusion would disappear overnight.

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    {double post deleted}

3. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    Can we have a duel here? That could be fun, we've had Dueling Banjos, how about Dueling Cornet/Trumpets. :lol:

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    You'll want a Gansch Horn in Cory next

5. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire

Let's call them Crumpets and make them terribly English

6. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    No, decent valves trumpets in the USA appeared in the 1920's, not before, Louis Armstrong played the cornet until the age of 28, then he prefered trumpet because they worked well, as well or better than a decent cornet.
    Trumpet was the really new instrument in the USA.
    So, cornet has a long story in the USA, they used it in military bands, Philip Sousa... I think you know him, he was a great man.
    About shallow cups, Arban considered that the cup was too deep and he was the first one who proposed shallow cups for the cornet, shallow is what you mean, 4B but before the cups were deeper like french horn's mouthpieces.
    About cups, I really think, jazz players prefer deep cups on the cornet and on the flugelhorn and 4B is just a standard, jazz players prefer them deeper.

7. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I'm sure some of us would still need 'T' to go with those crumpets. ROFL

8. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Sorry Lionel I see no need for your sarcasm regarding my knowledge of Sousa, I know of him of course but I have never met the man so I cannot be said to know him.

I have to be honest I cannot see what your are aiming for on this thread now, you asked if it your instrument sounded like a cornet. I have given you my opinion, no it doesn't, nor do I believe it is the right instrument for the sound you are apparently chasing. It is my belief that you would be better off with a more American Style cornet. There is just something "off" with the sound. I believe that there are effectively two styles of cornet, the shepherds crook and the straight model. Both have their own characteristics and in my view although there is nothing wrong with chasing a sound I feel it would be easier for you to obtain the sound you want with a straight model.

As regards mouthpiece design and what is considered deep. Whether you like it or not I have heard Americans who do not like the "too deep" Wick 4B when they switch to a cornet from a trumpet that is experience not an opinion.

If all you want to do is defend your choice of instrument that is fine but be aware that I will also defend my beliefs, sound and the way I feel about instruments

9. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    I really appreciate, you helped me a lot, I didn't know there were two kinds of cornets.
    Yes, I'm a bit aggressive I know but it's my sense of humour, I don't bite because I was thinking about the long cornet, they are seldom played, well, I've never seen played in jazz, maybe I've never noticed them.

10. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Only if you want to butter them up. I prefer trying to get a rise out of them. Much more fun!