Does it sound like a cornet ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lionelsax, Oct 23, 2013.

1. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    A dangerous challenge, surely? Within their playing range cornets are a lot more agile than trumpets.

2. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Anyway, back to serious matters...

That Jonathan Pugh bloke appears to be playing on a very large-bore horn. I'm wondering whether it might not be a custom job. It reminds me of Bryan Robson's Nightingales, developed from the Olds Recording cornet: Nightingale Trumpets | Home

It also looks a bit like a Raven.

Anyway, good luck with your search for the sound you are seeking.

This Sousa lassie...is she pretty?

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Ah If you knew Sousa like I know Sousa

4. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Sousa Goa.

Her husband is thrilled!

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire

I too tend to get overly defensive when I feel people are putting words in my mouth especially about cornets. Some people have decided that I don't like or know anything about long model and non shepherd crook cornets and that I am against anything but a Brass Band Shepherds crook model. Nothing could be further from the truth I just wish people would accept that there are differences and that all I have been trying to do is highlight the fact that you may have the wrong tool for the job you wish to do.

6. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    ...just sayin'.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    And I know of Sousa also. Too, he preferred cornets to trumpets, and didn't like recording. One might say I cut my eye teeth on Sousa music. Still, I was initially trained by a cornetist in his 2nd commercial band. Some say he and Clarke did not see eye to eye.

8. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Oh yes you should be right, thanks, he's got one in his hands. Yes, you are right, this is a long straight cornet !
    I was talking about Philip.

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'd say there are three styles of cornets. First, the traditional short (or shepherds crook) cornet...second, the American wrap (or long) cornet...and third, the trumpet-shaped cornet, which is basically a trumpet with a slightly different leadpipe and cornet receiver. Of course, over the years, cornets have been bent into all sorts of shapes, so some may not fall neatly into these categories.

As for the valved trumpet, it evolved from the cornet out of necessity. As composers (and performers) began using the new chromatic valved instruments, which were cornets, the natural (and keyed) trumpet began to fall from favor. Of course, classical music couldn't be performed on such a crass instrument, so a valved trumpet had to be developed. The first valved trumpets were basically elongated cornets, and were even called "orchestral cornets" in some of the advertising in the 1850's and 1860's. I've seen an old J.W. Pepper ad from the turn of the century that had a model called a "trumpet cornet", and boasted a louder, more penetrating sound for band and orchestra use.

10. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Hang on! I think I've got confused here somewhere down the line. I thought we were talking about the Japanese guy. I should have twigged that the name didn't quite ring true. I hated that neighing.

I have listened to this guy's sound and now I see what you're getting at. Sorry. The photo that accompanies the Youtube video I heard looks a lot like a Taylor custom cornet. The one in the picture above doesn't seem to have a brand name on the bell, but it looks like a Schagerl or a Shilke.