Does it take playing skill on the trumpet to be able to select good equipment?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Spideriffic, Jun 3, 2015.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    What a wonderfully coherent post. ;-)

2. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Coherent ? So why it's not ,can you read?

And What your a wise Guy trickg?

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I can certainly read - it was actually meant in good fun, hence the winkie emoticon I added to my post.

With that said, I'd like to think that most English speaking/reading people appreciate correct capitalization, punctuation and grammar.

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Might be self taught.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Possibly. :D Nice one! (At least some of us can take a joke, right?)

trumpetsplus likes this.
  6. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Whatdaya meen I speek gud inlush

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Welcome Spideriffic,

you can travel from NYC to Plattsburgh by going south. Eventually you will get there, it will take longer and require additional skills and you probably will change your goal before arriving.

So it also is with playing the trumpet. YES we can discern instruments without being a professional, the problem here however, is that your problem isn't the horn or mouthpiece. Your playing is going south and no amount of "more dedication" fixes that. Basically you describe everything that I need to know. I believe that your problem is bad habits and a missing daily routine. Unless the problems are adressed, they are simply reinforced.

My suggestion would be to make a trip to Ivan - not to worship yet another god, rather to get an independent ascessment of your playing from some ears that I believe you can trust. I am convinced that no amount of time or money could be better spent. Ivan will check YOU and your equipment out and give you some indication how to go north.....

8. Slidehammr

Slidehammr New Friend

Jul 21, 2009
    I have a 1952 body, '53 Chicago Benge, mid '70's Schilke, both Bb's that pertain to this response. I use a Bach 2.5c mouthpiece when playing legit, Schilke 9 for jazz and a Reeves 41s for electric band. I practice 1-1.5 hrs per day. Endurance-wise I've had good results with Warburton's PETE as well as plenty of flexibility exercises: Irons, Colin, Frink. The two afore-mentioned horns play vastly differently. I think it's something almost anyone would notice. Both horns have been re-built so given enough time and use they can develop wear related issues. I wish you the best!

9. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
    That Benge MLP is a really nice trumpet. It is, however, a large bore (that's what the MLP designation is). I can't imagine this helps with your endurance. Augie Haas, the lead trumpet player for Harry Connick Jr., plays a Benge MLP.

Kevin

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A careful warm up exercise may help. and in this special case, would be referred to as a Benge-warmer.