Does polishing with polishing cloth scratch my trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Mar 13, 2012.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I always polish my silver trumpet with a regular polishing cloth everyday after I finish playing. Yesterday, my dad told me that if I polish it too much, I could be scratching the silver plate on my trumpet. Is this true?

NotCody likes this.
  2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    If you are using a quality clothe there will be no problem. But remember the clothe has to be clean. A clothe that is not clean will scratch your instrument. All it takes is one grain of dirt or sand. Clothes are cheap. Buy several and when they are used up, use them for monkey wrench uses.

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Exactly.

The silver polish removes the scratches, but removing a little bit of silver. Keep polishing in the same place and it will take the silver.

4. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    I rarely polish my horn. When I wash the horn it gets cleaned. The cheapest and best cloth would likely be the ones you find at an autoparts store. Since your not polishing rims/a dusty car there is likely to be little abrasion.

NotCody likes this.
  5. dsr0057

dsr0057 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2009
    Denton, TX
    The amount of silver you remove when you polish it is microscopic. Almost equivilant to .0000000001 cm worth of silver. It takes decades for silver polishing cloth to destroy silver.

NotCody likes this.
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I agree with this. I polished my C trumpet for 20 years with a cloth before discovering hot salty water and aluminum foil. Now I remove tarnish WITHOUT polishing by electrolysis. No silver atoms rubbed away.

Wiping down a horn removes the acid and oils from our hands, which keeps the finish intact a lot longer.

7. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Can you explain to me what the hot salty water and aluminum foil is?

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    NotCody likes this.
  9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
  10. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    FWIW - I use Flitz, a non-abrasive polish, with cotton balls and cotton swabs to remove tarnish when I find it (rarely) and Goddard's silver polishing cloth, which leaves a protective but invisible coating, to wipe down my silver horns before I put them back in their cases. I believe these are the highest-quality products available for these purposes, and I have had no problems with them so far. I used to wax all my horns, but after discovering Goddard's, I only wax my laquered ones.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012