Does practicing with a mute increase range?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpeter3197, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    A restrictive mute will make your upper register easier while the mute is in the horn, but when the mute is removed, that effect quickly goes away as your playing adapts to the lower resistance of your normal setup.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    extrapolating on YOUR advice, I have and old Holton, and I wanted to play Baroque classical style -- so I bent the bell over --- the sound is stuffy now, will it improve the more I play??? at least I broke it enough so classical music sounds cool now!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I practice with mutes(harmon, cup, straight, solotone, etc...) almost exclusively for the dynamics and tonal color benefits. I would prefer to practice without I think I would get better faster, since I can get a away with certain bad techniques with the mute that sound bad without.

I think it is probably psychological in that the mutes tend to filter the higher frequencies out, take it out all the sudden you can hear those higher frequencies again. I used to practice playing high-hat with ear plugs to avoid listening to the harsh sounds until I mastered a technique, take the ear plugs out all the sudden you can hear those highs, and its like ahh so good.

4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Are you saying that you gin range AFTER practicing with the mute? So, as in your range without the mute is increased after a series practices with mute only? This could make sense, if you had to play "tighter", or rather compensated for the resistance of the mute, and found the blow to be easier once it was taken out...anyone else agree?

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I hate mutes, all of them, including my YSB that I use when the wife is home. However, I do denote a strengthening of my wind when I then play without and attribute using a mute (any mute) as an exercise to develop and sustain wind power. Primarily it's just that I don't like the tone of most of them. Oh yes, I use them all when the music or director calls for them but that doesn't require that I muust like them. I recently acquired a straight mute with a 1/4" hole (seemingly drilled) in the bottom. Well, it ain't a Harmon without the stem, but it is unique and I like it better.

6. Trumpeter3197

Trumpeter3197 New Friend

Jun 30, 2012
    Yes, that is what happened.

Also for those of you talking about different mutes with different resistances, I'm using a regular Yamaha Silent Brass, which is pretty soft.

7. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    Unrelated but possible that you spend more time practicing with a mute because you know you won't disturb others as opposed to practicing less when noise is an issue. Indirectly you might be putting more practice time in when a mute is available. So far as range, I still think working on exercises like Irons or Caruso and other various lip flexibility exercises seem to be the best for range.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    PRACTICE anyway you can with any etude or music is a positive toward increasing range. I'll just limit the usage of mutes to an exercise that either increases or sustains the wind power to accomplish it, but if you can't get there without a mute, using a mute won't help you.

9. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Too much practice with a mute can make for some very bad habits. It alters perspective of the trumpet sound and puts in way too much resistance. Practice with a mute should only be done to understand what the mute does. It isn't going to give you extra range.
    Practicing with a mute should only be done when it is an only option.
    Rich T.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey hey, some of my best friends are mute... can be an asset in some cases.