Does the guy next to you sound louder?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ric232, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    All else being equal and assuming you're both playing the same parts, does the guy/gal playing next to you generally sound louder than you sound to yourself? Just wondering as I had the opportunity to play next to a very accomplished player today during my church service. He sounded so much louder than me from where I was sitting. I suspect he really was playing louder than me but I'm wondering if it seems exaggerated when comparing to the horn your playing yourself.

2. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    If his sound hits a wall, music stand, pew, floor, etc in a certain way, it could be redirected towards your ear, making it sound much louder then it really is. Of course there is the other reasoning for him sounding louder, which is him actually playing louder, like you stated.

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Sometimes what you hear and what the audience hears, are not the same thing. One time a band I was playing lead with, got a sub for the second trumpet part,he was playing so loud I couldn't hear myself, he turned out to be a real jerk, because when I asked him to hold back he refused ,so I started to play louder. When we took a break the leader, also the lead alto, asked me why I was playing so loud, I told him, he said he could only hear me and not the other guy.So he may have played loud ,but his sound spread and didn't project,so he only sounded loud in the section ,not to the audience.

4. 11thchair

11thchair Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In
    The guy next to me is hard of hearing.

5. Sungman

Sungman Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2008
    Delaware
    The guys next to me may sound brighter, but probably not louder

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    The guy next to me is not a guy. ;-)

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Does anyone else complain? Could it be a situation where his sound is more mature than what you're use to.

8. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    HI, Ric!

In a situation like this you need to trust your director to get the balance right. There are many reasons that your section partner may sound louder than you, some result from what he/she is doing, and some result from you and your horn.

In MY experience, people who play too loud are generally the most IMMATURE players (not necessarily chronologically!).

If the director wants louder, maybe you're not playing loud enough for the group, or maybe the rest of the group is playing too loud for the music (this happens A LOT in my experience! :-/ ).

You need to have a heart-to-heart with the director and find out what is their opinion. If you can get ahold of a decent recording of your group, you might learn a lot from listening to it!.

Personally, I prefer to get the beckoning hand from a director, rather than "playing to the palm" !

;-)

Guy Clark

9. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    One more thing...

If your group doesn't have a director (as a chamber group would be) you need to have someone present during rehearsals to make comments about balance and such. A spouse, maybe, or a teacher at the school to which you go, or SOMEBODY who can say, "yeah, one of the trumpets is overbalancing the horns", or what ever.

HOpe this helps!

Guy

10. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

:shock: