Does the spit valve really release spit?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lakerjazz, Sep 17, 2010.

1. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    If I put my finger in front of lips and buzz, it will never get wet. The buzz is completely dry, yet after playing a few minutes, the "spit" valve is already full. Is it really spit or is something else going on? My thinking was that there is air (including some vapor) inside the leadpipe, and when you put in your mouthpiece and buzz, the leadpipe is entirely sealed, and the heat from the air you are blowing causes causes the vapor in the leadpipe to condense. :dontknow: Any thoughts on this?

2. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    Some of it could be, but when you play your lips are appart so some spit escapes. Lip Buzzing is good but thats not actually what you do into the horn. Buzz on a Mp... it will drip...

3. govtmodel

govtmodel Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Most of it is condensation from your breath.

4. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Its mainly condensation, my spit valve fills up FAST, and I normally have a constant bead of water dripping out of my bell.

5. Trumpetman67

Trumpetman67 Piano User

Apr 11, 2009
    USA
    It's almost like putting a towel or tin foil over hot food, you get condensation. Your hot breath playing in your cold trumpet, it creates condensation. There's nothing bad about it, so there are no worries

6. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Yep condensation. In a cold horn, you get quite a bit, but even on a warm horn you'll get a constant flow.

"Spit valve" just sounds cooler than "condensation valve"

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My wife thinks it sounds sooo disgusting. She would probably prefer the latter.:play:

8. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Well if it is just condensation, then I prefer the term "water valve." It rolls off the tongue nicely too.

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Saliva is a much thicker liquid than the condensed water which collects in your trumpet. Your trumpet is fitted with "water keys" so that you can release this buildup.

I do not know of any instruments which are fitted with "spit valves".

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Right. Kind of like "spit and polish". Condensation and polish ..... it just doesn't work.

T