Does the spit valve really release spit?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lakerjazz, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Water key is the proper name, as Ivan pointed out, and what you get is indeed water, not spit. Your finger is warm, so no condensation can happen there.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thats true. I have Amato's and the catalog calls them water keys.

3. Moshe Mizrachi

Moshe Mizrachi Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2010
    I guess your body just doesn't produce much spit.

I produce so much spit that I had to have a spit valve installed on the piano when I took piano lessons as a teenager.

4. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Wow.. thats a lot of spit Moshe. Yes they are called water keys. When I ordered my Getzen I wasnt impressed with the amato keys so I custom ordered the lever action option that workes so much better for me. I get lots of condensation too and can get some out of the bell especially if I overblow a hard stretch of beautiful music.

5. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Ok this makes a lot more sense to me than the water being spit. So it is indeed water and the keys are indeed water keys.

Thanks for the help guys

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Not to say there couldn't be a little dribble of something in there. My dad always said it was "condensation" with a wink.:D

7. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I was at the DMV recently and for entertainment while waiting was reading the commercial trucker's manual, and there's a "spit valve" on one of the types of braking system (Jake brake?) then I got to the part talking about "glad hands" and my number was called .....