does this work?????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jonster, Jun 13, 2008.

1. jonster

jonster New Friend

Feb 16, 2008
    maryland
    hi guys. i have a quick question for you. many a times i see professional trumpet players playing a monette mouthpiece with a non-monette instrument. ex> bach strad w/ monette mouthpiece. i was wondering if monette mouthpieces actually make a standard horn sound better, or is it just the name? i was trying to decide whether i wanted to spend $200 on a mouthpiece and then it sounds like crap. i currently play a getzen eterna 700 special and a bach 3C gold plated mouthpiece. t he eterna naturally has a sharp and bright sound, but the sound i like is dark and warm, so i tried to compensate with the gold plating. will the monette help at all?????????

2. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I switched to a Monette B6 mouthpiece after playing a gold Bach 3C for many years. The biggest difference that I found was not necessarily the tonal difference, but the added confidence it gave me in note slotting.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Monette mouthpieces don't always work in all brand horns the same way they do in Monette's horns. Kanstul's clones, which have (or did) different backbores might be a better fit for you. They sure are cheaper!

Have fun!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Jonster,
    the reality is there are more players with Monette mouthpieces than with Monette horns. I only own one Monette horn, but use the mouthpieces in all the rest except for the nat.

The reason to buy the mouthpiece is because it works for you. Play before you pay.

After trying out some Monette clones, I can say that they are not close in blow or sound to the original. They do not share the pitch center advantage that the original has either.

5. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Some had different back bores? Not quite an exact copy is it? Back bores tend to change things ;-)

6. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    I'm not trying to start WWIII here. And I think we have been through this in other threads but this clone thing always bugs me.

If Kanstul plugs a Monette mp into their computer and spits out an exact copy (back bore and all)

Why would it not play exactly the same? Why would it not have the same "pitch center"

Does Monette use a special alloy or heat treating process?

Thanks!

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    MJ,
    that is very simple. The CNC copy can get the outside, rim and cup essentially perfect (enough) but the backbore and throat need dedicated tooling and that is where the copies are no longer copies. The backbore is NOT a CNC copy. It is like having a Monette mouthpiece with a Bach backbore.

If there was an easy way to copy the innards AND they happen to have the same brass alloy, then an essentially perfect copy would be possible (except for Daves magic scratches in the backbore). He does hand tune the mouthpieces, probably not as much as he used to as his CNC is much more consistent.

AS far as starting a war, there is no grief from my side. Most technological things have a logical explanation. Only voodoo gets me worked up sometimes.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

I have no argument with getting a CNC copy mouthpiece, but, I wonder at why the backbore profile cannot also be cloned. I have ground my fair share of specialty reamers to exactly,( +/- .00008" ), to match a given and existing profile. Take my word for it, Zigs people CAN make a total clone, but, do they want to get any farther into making Dave angry enough to file against them? I know that imitation is the highest form of compliment, but, some compliments that potentially take away market share can cause serious upset.

OLDLOU>>

9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If you want a darker sound try a warburton mouthpiece , they have interchangable backbores.go on theirwebsite to see the choices.

10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Lou, you are right about the ABILITY to make the reamers, but if they are going to go through the effort, they need to recoop that change too. The clones that I played did NOT have the same backbore (my pencil went in further on the real thing......). I think the real reason that the clones aren't the same is that Kanstul can't get away with selling something that non-standard. The Monette customer knows why he buys in and what needs to be done. I don't hear anyone from Kanstul talking about body use.........

I don't think Dave is worried about Kanstul. People buy into his "family". Being a Monette client is more than being just some anonymous customer.

In any case, there is no "warm" mouthpiece BRAND - including Warburton. All companies have models that are all over the color spectrum.

If the Monette mouthpiece gets your playing more relaxed, then your sound will become fuller. Depending on the piece the color could darken or brighten up. I use a B2D and it is just perfect for the orchestral and solo stuff that I do. A B6 is what I use for lead.