Does your Bb fit? Is fit important?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Does your Bb trumpet fit? Is fit important?

I'm approaching the questions in the title from the perspective of a hobbyist, certainly not a pro where what is played is what the job demands.

I have noticed, since beginning my comeback twenty-one months ago, that some of my instruments fit better and are simply more comfortable to play than others. All of my Bb trumpets provide more playing comfort than the cornets or flugelhorn, and a couple of the trumpets distinguish themselves.

The trumpets that fit best have the most favorable weight distribution for me while being played and serve to position my arms most comfortably. Does this matter? I suggest it does. Good playing mechanics are more easily maintained with a good fitting instrument, in my humble opinion.

Jim

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I honestly don't notice it because I'm working on the rest of it. That said: All of my horns, if you hold them by the third-valve button, balance level. This is with a normal-weight mouthpiece.

Tom

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Do some trumpets physically fit a player better than others? Ergonomics? Yes. Olds Super catalog advertisement says the horn " feels natural right from the start..perfect balance." I tend to agree- at least for me. The Olds Recording even had an inset second valve and forward set valve casing. Some of my Kings are not as ergonomically designed. The little points on the second valve slide ( what the heck were they about?) can dig into your hand. The Connstellation 38b ( and Kanstul 991) had a wide wrap, allowing for a better left hand grip. My olds Ambassador D trumpet has a poor design with the location of the third valve ring- not enough room to really get a proper grip. The King (Silver flair!?) designed for Harry James was actually designed to offset his extra long arms. So, as far as ergonomics, I do think some horns are easier on the player. but what really matters is how they play.

4. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I'm soft and bendable -- horns are inflexible. So I adapt to the horn. I regularly play both an Olds Recording, with the balanced valve layout, and a Martin Committee, which has the valve block closer to your face than any other Bb I own. I like how they play, so I adapt and don't notice ergonomic issues with either horn.

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I bet a dollar my arms are longer than Harry's :-)

Tom

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I might take notice of that when I first pick up the horn but once the down beat happens it seems to dissapear.

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    If I play my Recording for a long time, then pick up the Strad or something else I have to be careful not to break my teeth. Even more so if I've been playing the cornet.

--bumblebee

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    cushion the blow with a Bach 3CW :)

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    You don't know what a really uncomfortable trumpet is - any rotary can be a beast, because you are forced to shape your hand to the horn, and that ain't easy. But God! do they play sweet!

coolerdave likes this.
  10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    something I hadn't even considered ... point barliman2001