Does your Bb fit? Is fit important?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Just ask the people in England what they think about Americans.

2. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    There are some good ergonomic reasons for starting youngsters on pocket trumpets, cornet and those short trombones that only go to sixth position. (Many a trombonist plays with a skewed angle because their arms were too short to get to seventh position without some antics.)

My parents took the advice of the music store guy and got me a cornet. I didn't want to be a cornetist--I wanted to be a trumpet player just like Herb Alpert!

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Mine did, too, but at the time, I don't think I knew the difference between a cornet and a trumpet. I did know who Herb Alpert was, though...:-)

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    +2! I still clearly remember that shiny new Holton Galaxy cornet that I got as a 6th grader. It fit me pretty well, too!
    Jim

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I agree with the above -- my arms are short like MISTY's -- and the trombone I play, I have to bend the wrist and contort sideways a bit to get the 7th position. NOW AS FAR AS TRUMPETS ( I think the cornets are stuffy little instruments -- I have 2 of them and although my arms are not so stretched out like on the trumpet -- MY MIND is SKEWED such that I really dislike cornets)
    NOW --- I have a shorter trumpet (Holton Collegiate) it plays nice, I have several trumpets, they all play nice --- but my MIND is such that I sound better and enjoy playing my KING SILVER FLAIRS. Albeit the King 2055T (newer model) is quite heavy, and does not slot - as well as my older KING 1055 pre UMI Flair. I actually can get 1 note higher on the pre UMI vs the 2055 ------------BUT I PLAY THEM BOTH - and LOVE THEM BOTH ------- this is only followed by a LA OLDS SUPER. but I contest that WE ADAPT TO THE HORN THAT FITS OUR MIND, BODY, AND SOUL ----- no matter what the trumpet may be.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yeah, we know about your skewed mind...ROFL ROFL ROFL

Lots of cornet hate on the site today. That usually just means the person has never played a good one.

7. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I have a great 1895 Holton and it is fun to play, but with the deep cup that I use it sounds like a cornet. Real cornets are a blast to play, but as mentioned before they can't replace trumpets. No hate, but, uhh, this is a trumpet forum!

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I had the exact opposite experience. I was pretty small for a ten-year old, and yet, since no one told me that my grandfather's heavy Buescher trumpet was too big for me, I just played it.

Tom

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Never played a cornet until two years ago, been on trumpets since day one otherwise:roll::oops:

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    And here I am toting around a Holton Collegiate cornet that Ivan has modified with a trumpet mouthpiece receiver. Well, IMO it now doesn't sound like either cornet or trumpet ... but I like it and it likes my Bach 6 and K5C. Too, it gives me "lip time" with less wind demand, and my declining wind I must conserve so I can continue breathing.