Does your Bb fit? Is fit important?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Mar 4, 2013.

1. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    Thanks for listening and the suggestions. One of the reasons I don't visit this forum very often is the rampant straying from topics. I know. It's all good fun. But I have rarely gotten questions answered. Thanks again.

tobylou8 likes this.
  2. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    :dontknow: It's the internet. You get out of it what you put into it. This is a community. Stick around a while and you'll see why it's nice. :)

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Misty.sj is spot on. we are a community in what is basically a social network. Usually someone we respect can find the answers, some questions, however, are unanswerable, and if everybody stayed on topic we'd all come across as being snotty trumpet gods. (That is a privilege reserved for the Artists in Residence and moderators.)

We've had some folk hawking their snake oil high note secrets and such, and the community has driven them off. The moderators have had to ban relatively few members. We banter because we like each other, but on those occasions where a member going through some uncomfortable life change there is a huge outpouring of empathy and sympathy.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Thank you Misty - I travel much less now that I'm retired - BrisVegas was a personal favourite - even though I spent much of my time in the maintenance hangars at the airport. Or even at the Queesland Irish Association across the road and upstairs from the Hilton Hotel Entrance. Queensland heat makes me thirsty, and you need to drink 10 pints of Guinness to win a tee shirt - I have three tee shirts - none of them in my size.

Strangely, I'm just back from rehearsal and one of the other trumpeters brought a Getzen Cornet along, very bright, quite a nice tone, feels like my Pocket Trumpet with respect to the valve set and my face - N+1 is alive and well.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ..... do you have the obligatory long pockets too?

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Way back when, our public school instructor / high school band director had the solution for those that couldn't reach 7th position. It was a gimbeled stick fastened to the slide brace. Some continued to use such sticks in their sophmore year and may have longer but I quit noticing ... another was prettier... alas she had a steady boyfriend I found out and I then looked elsewhere.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Sure won't happen with a marching (trumpet configuration) F mellophone. They really put the strain toward carpel tunnel syndrome on one. That's why I prefer to play mine with Larry Kerchner massive heavyweight mouthpiece by IYM. I suppose that such would also be a bummer for the U.S. Army Herald Trumpets.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Somewhere I read he wore a 35" sleeve shirt and later also favored a flash of French cuff links.

9. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    As far as the feel of the trumpet in my hand the Olds Recording is by far the winner. It just feels right the way it is built.

10. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have a couple like that too, Brian; not Recordings though. I like your phrase: "It just feels right the way it is built."
    Jim