Does your Bb fit? Is fit important?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Mar 4, 2013.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Dude --- I just hate cornets --- I have a ROYAL and a HOLTON cornet from the 50's ---- so I am pretty certain 1 of them is a GOOD ONE!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I played a good one!

[​IMG]

However, I sold it and two others because my community band is all trumpet.

Had to pay for my flugel somehow....

Tom

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    To each his own. If I could have only one instrument, it would be a cornet. Trumpets are a good backup instrument to have, but cornets are where it's at...can you cats dig the rebop? Don't make me drag out the Clarke letter...:lol:

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Clarke letter is proof that cornet players are more snotty than trumpet players, even though we play the "instrument of kings."

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Those gimballed sticks btw are quite an ancient idea. Baroque bass trombones had them as a matter of course, because they had to go down up to twelfth position (no valves in those days).

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    :roll:ROFL

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If I remember correctly, the "instrument of kings" doesn't have any valves. Cornets first went chromatic with valves in the 1830's, and the trumpet makers grudgingly added them in the late 19th century when the trumpet had been eclipsed by the cornet in popularity. Then, in the 1930's or so, when the trumpet had surpassed the cornet in popularity (the pea-shooter era), cornet design was compromised to make them more like the trumpet. I'm happy to see the cornet returning to its roots and distancing itself from the trumpet branch of the family. It's nice to have choices. BTW, I'd say your post reeks of snot, too, so we'll have to share the box of Kleenex...;-)

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I wouldn't have wanted to be close in front of them. Still, I always wondered where he got them. Not that I recall did he ever say whose idea they were. Now I'm thinking medical prosthetics of a fork tine and hook in soft resins, vis push out and and pull return.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    http://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/images/88H1924.jpg
    For those who don't know what a gimbal stick is.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Addresses the "problem" of reach, but much more basic than what I remember Dr. Cameron provided. Too, this looks hinged, not mechanically gimbaled. Too, i've heard of others using a "whip" stick ... just a short piece of cord forming the variation of a gimbal.