Does your community band require audition for a seat?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Daff, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Daff

Daff Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Our comm band is sponsored by the university and basically lets anyone with a pulse participate.

The last couple semesters, there have been maybe 15-16 trumpets 'stick' for the semester. You can't even hear yourself think, and forget elbow room. Breathing is limited to gasps. It's really the pits.

It is obvious that many of them only pick up their horn once a week. Those of us that are serious about actually making music are wanting to push earning a seat via auditons and limiting the trumpet/cornet section to a reasonable number but the university staff is turning a deaf ear to it. Many of us are considering bailing. It just ain't fun no mo.

What happens in your community?

2. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    In our community band the section leaders place people, I am the section leader for the trumpets and I will move people at different times. also for some of the summer concerts I will put people on higher parts if I think that they can cut it. only a couple of players have left because of this practice. I did have one person who played very well but only showed up about 1/3 of the time leave because I moved him from 1st to 2nd[he wanted to be principle player but you could never count on him being there. we only accept adults,but a high school kid can join on invitation only. the adults that can't make usually quit themselves. I have never asked someone to not come back because of their ability, this band is supposed to be fun. I can hide them in the section. old geezer Dave

3. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    gEEZ, i DONNO. wHEN i CALLED OUT LOCAL ABOUT PLAYING THEY SAID THEY DID'NT NEED ANY MORE TRUMPETS. There must be a glut...:-)
    Oh well~

gregc

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    We are open by invite only. Minimum number in our section is 6, max 7. We split up 3 "principals", each with an assistant (1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1/1-1, 3-2/2-1).

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    You have to audition to get in to the band. We will go without before taking on a player that can't play. There eight trumpet spots and they are full now so a person can't just show up and play. If that were to happen we would tell them that they have to audition and if they were good enough they could join when there is an opening.

6. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I wish we would have an audition for position but not all volunteer adult bands can be choosy or picky when it comes to accepting members. I am a degreed musician who plays four nights a week. I play in this 65 piece adult concert band one of these nights. The band has about 13 trumpets. :-o

First chair trumpet is held by a retired Band Director who has been with the band for many many years. He is very good. The rest are want-a-bees. They play once, maybe twice a week and think they are the worlds gift to the band. Believe me they are not. :lol:

I do not decide where people set even though I wish I could. They decide where they will set by means that are not very adult like. Mostly, they just take the position and then get nasty when someone else trys to take it back. This happens every few months. It's a kid's game in an adult band. It is not nice. I have quit the trumpet section a few times and gone to play euphonium because of the bickering that goes on, but I always return to my coveted position in the trumpet section. :oops:

I set last chair third part because from that position I can laugh at the others knowing that not one of them will try and bully their way into that chair. :bleah:

7. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    Bourboncity - - I know exactly what you are talking about. I was at the very first rehearsal of this community band when they started just over 11yr. ago and was placed as sect. leader by the director. after about 3 yr. I took off for a yr. while going through a divorce but later joined back up. they had a new sect. leader and I was placed 2nd chair on the 2nd part. there was so much childish "I am better than you stuff going on I re-assingned my self as last chair 3rd. I loved that part and had a ball but as time went on they kept moving up through the 3rds and straight into the 1sts. I am now section leader and don't put up with the silly stuff. I have only one person who really gets his panties tied up in a knot when I switch parts around to give people a change of pace, so I consider that pretty good compared to most trumpet sections I have played in. by the way he does play other parts but complains about it. old geezer Dave

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Our CB is "open" but we do have some basic standards which are in our "rules" for use in those special instances where someone thinks they can play a lot better than they really can (for example, someone who is Gr. 2 or really "stretching" to Gr. 3 trying to get into the senior (Gr 4-5 with the odd 6) band). Normally those players quickly find out how far over their heads they are and step back of their own accord; but there HAVE been instances..........

We have no problem allowing better players double into the "intermediate band" (Gr 2-3) since we believe that they provide support for the conductor, help keep the beat correct, and have proven to be valuable teachers and mentors for less skilled players. The one thing we don't appreciate, however, is "stuffing" the sections in the intermediate band with "ringers" so that junior members never get a chance at solos or 1st parts.

Otherwise our bands are open: if 6 trumpets are good, 10 trumpets are better. Even had 5 tubas one time.... thank goodness we never had a surplus of double reeds. :oops:

9. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    A surplus of double reeds? My band now has three Basoons, along with three tubas!

No, my band doesn't have auditions and that's been a bit of a problem with the trumpet section. There were a group of five of us who joined at the same time and we were placed randomly throughout the sections. The problem is that a high school kid who is a great kid but not a great player wound up in the second chair/second section. I can play circles around that kid and I'm down in the third section---which is NOT a complaint but if the first chair/2nd section is gone, I have to cover. It winds up being a very unequal sounding and playing Trumpet section.

Fortunately, the first chair/first section is a very experienced player who knows about the uneven quality and works to provide oppourtunities for players to shine on different pieces. Also, we are fortunate that all of the trumpet players except one are adults and we work together quite well.

Our band director also will NOT allow some blowhard to come charging into band on practice night and decide that he's God's gift to mankind. We had a guy try that, elbowing his way into the first section, bragging about the awards he'd won with this beat up Ambassador trumpet he had. He was only there one night......................... :-)

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I can't figure out what GR 1-2-3-4 is, can you explain?