Doing a solo "street gig" at a big festival...what do you think??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Nov 22, 2011.

1. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Hi everyone. Here's an idea I came up with. In my hometown, the 1st weekend in October they hold this huge gathering...."Applefest" its called, and its enormous!! They estimated the turnout this past October to be near 100,000 people over 3 days. Now, every year, the Chamber gets the same old acts....the same duos,the same solo guitar player/singers,the same "novelty" bands......I was wondering, my idea is to grab my trumpet, go stand in the park, and just PLAY!!!! No corny jokes, no 3 minute intro of the songwriter's life, just me, my horn, and playing!! Alot of people Ive mentioned it to thinks its a great idea....and who nows,I may make a few bucks in tips!!!! Lets hear from any of you who may have done this! i really am doing this next year!!!:play:

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    If you're excited about it, and you want to do it, then DO IT! Performing in public is an invaluable experience, and the money never hurts. I've done a little here and there, and when I went to New Orleans I saw a good amount of people doing it, even just this grade school trumpet player! All I can say is make sure you can get some songs memorized, and it's even better if you can take some jazz standards and do some free improvisation as well. It's so sad that players no longer feel like they can do this, because if you enjoy it, then playing in any environment is great. Good luck, and I'm sure you'll have fun!

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Well, my first thought is wow, that's taking a big risk right there, and you may get some negative feedback since you weren't asked and all. On the other hand you'll never know how it would have turned out if you don't try! I give you credit for thinking of it and more credit even if you go through with it!
    I be pushing for you!

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Even if not actually "busking" it may be to your advantage to coordinate with the sponsors of such an event. If you're really good, I'd propose such as a "freebie" and scatter your business cards about your case, or at least have them available if asked for one. Anyway you can market your sound is the way to go.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    why not start sooner than NEXT OCTOBER?? go to a park, on busy sidewalk, or whatever -- start now, learn how (learn how to improvise or whatever, deal with positive and negative comments, etc) and maybe that will give you an idea on a smaller scale of what 100,000 people will be like.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    In some jurisdictions and locations such can be cause for the police to cite for violation of noise ordinances. I was shut down once in a park, but not cited, for disturbing the quiet solitude of the park. Quiet? Not real! Kids were screaming all over the place and others were playing their boom boxes. Still, the "man" said go, and I went. Point being if you're not of the "cliche" you best not be there, or worse could happen. Yeah, I was perhaps disrupting the sounds from the boom-box. Yes, my instrument was a flash for a snatch there I'm sure, now that I think about it.

7. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I do it every week and don't ask for anything in return. I go to the beach, parks and even coffee shops like Starbucks and Peets and just play songs I memorized. Once in a while I'll pull out some sheet music. People respond very positively. Free live music. So I say do it.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Rule#1..don't suck
    Have fun

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Big Daddy, from what you say, I'd suggest the business card spread I stated prior ... that is if you want to market your music.

10. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Ed Lee. Just had some made up with my email, FB and reverbnation account. Working on a few projects that will hopefully happen sometime next year.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011