Doing a solo "street gig" at a big festival...what do you think??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Nov 22, 2011.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    BigDaddy,
    How do you keep the volume down to a manageable level while playing in Starbucks, I'm wondering? Starbucks is cool with that? I can't imagine it being OK in my neck of the woods, not that I'm questioning the fact that you do it.....Sounds pretty cool though.

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    You always have the option of pulling out a harmon or bubble mute as well --- that may help keep volume down, so it's not too loud

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Mutes are cheaters toward the piamissimo performance, and they do alter tone. I've seen a whole 5 piece band play softly in the background of a book store near the coffee bar with no mutes for the 2 pieces as were brass (trumpet and trombone).

4. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Yes, you're right, it is an easier way to reduce volume. However, playing softly for a very long period of time can be taxing on an individual, especially one not used to playing for so long at a normal volume. This way, projection is decreased, and it does add some tone color as well. Perhaps a better suggestion on my part would be to use it intermittently, to add a different flavor to your improvisation and give the chops a little break.

5. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Mark, a harmon and bubble mute are the same. Just slightly different takes on the same thing.
    If you use a mute, a cup works well. Mutes do alter tone - they are supposed to do just that and personally I'd much rather walk near a muted trumpet player than one blaring away from 10 paces. Not everybody want to hear some cats playing loudly.
    When I hear some hack out there playing what they think of as "music", I want to run away. Too many players of all ilk have no idea that many people do know the difference between good and bad playing.
    Rich T.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  6. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey BigDub,
    I play soft and outside the place. At first I used a harmon mute at the coffee shops and then I started playing soft which helps me with my control. I haven't had any problems with anyone telling me to stop.

7. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I agree hardily. And yeah, I know the difference, but some people only know it by one name or the other. Trying to be user friendly =) Cup mutes are very fun!

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Glad to hear that, Big Daddy- good work, and good advice right there.
    Thanks.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Playing softly with all music anywhere develops much more control and the surprise is that the altissimo becomes easier to attain, but mostly it is easier to center your tone.

10. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Rule #2- Don't Suck!