Doing a solo "street gig" at a big festival...what do you think??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Nov 22, 2011.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Rule #3 - refer to Rule #1.

2. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Thanks for everyone's input.........The fellow who suggested "why wait"....its cold around here,so I dont think Ill be doing much "outside" playing....winter and all......and I dont suck,so Im following the "rules"...LOL.......may hit the stores,the malls...they all have the Salvation Army bell ringers....could go do some Christmas music along side of the ringers...Thanks, everyone!!

3. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Bigdub mentioned"thats taking a big risk,not being asked"......Im not going to jump up on one of their stages....just out in the throngs of people....somewhere in the park, on a street corner.......just to say,"hey,Im a trumpet player,and Im good,take a listen"......and I know a ton of tunes by heart....and I can improvise too,quite well....42 years as a musician has given me a vast repitoire of songs, from all genres....jazz, big band,swing,gospel,rock,easy listening......and if during my "street gig" someone tells me I gotta quit........a letter to the editor in the local newspaper will soon follow!!!!!

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Back in my HS days, I did a lot of SA Christmas kettle cooperation, that is to say I was part with others in our HS band, and then SA had real kettles ... a big one in front of the Post Office and it was often nearly filled. These days it's tough for SA to place a kettle in an opportune spot. Too, when such are now on mall property it is a much different story ... sadly ... permission ... permission ... permission. Too, If out in the frigid weather a Kelly mpc is an asset.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    man, I thought you were a trumpet player -- "it's cold here" -- c'mon man toughen up a little bit ROFL ROFL ROFL (don't worry, I read the post, I know you are old, and it just isn't true -- the mpc never freezes to your face -- just when your not playing, put it in your pocket to keep it warm -- that is what we used to do for football PEP rallies --- but YES it does suck to play in the cold, and rain, and snow" ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO your card has lots of splash, but lacks the most important item ... a direct phone number to book you. Too, the Masonic emblem offends over half the community and should be limited to usage on social cards only. Too, there is NOT one of the instruments you list, that I would use in these community performances viz they are the "flash for a snatch". Get a "beater" for such. Times are tough now!

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Understood, very clear now. Sounds great. Go for it.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO, it is unlikely that what you write to the editor of the newspaper in reference to such, will ever appear in print and will just be waste of your time and effort, especially if there are ordinances / laws in your community against such. As I've stated Malls and the curtilage to such are private property and the owner / management of such has total control and can ban your presence without cause, persist and be charged with trespassing. The concept of playing in public is an attraction ... and it is this attraction that is sometimes the problem that gets out of hand and unmanageable and obstructional. Did you ever notice that there is a space near malls that is labeled a "fire zone" that allows fire trucks access to stand pipes for internal fire extinguisher sprinklers that cannot be obstructed as a matter of public safety? Yes, it is a matter of management liability that they do nothing that may obstruct these, even to the extent of allowing You and I to attract a crowd that obstructs and / or hinders access to their property.

Have you ever asked why there are fewer Salvation Army bands here in the U.S.? One of the answers is now there is greater religious intolerance against Christian organizations, yet they persevere to assist the impoverished and OUR TROOPS without prejudice towards their religions. Still once upon a time the Salvation Army in the U.S. had a great band that traveled across America giving great performances. I was lucky enough to see and hear such once when they appeared at the Syria Mosque in Pittsburgh PA. Too, they sponsored local community bands also, often teaching how to play and providing instruments. Then also, there were three or more musicians standing alongside many kettles.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011