Doing what I thought Rowuk told me to do a few months ago (but didn't really)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a marching trumpet, Jun 15, 2010.

1. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    So, I just remembered at 2 in the morning when I was practicing that I needed to do this. I remember a few months ago I posted a post on how using the tongue over the chops helped my playing alot. Well Rowuk, posted a post about the post I posted a few months ago, Said I should post another post about the post that I posted a few months ago (this is getting old isnt it? ROFL) Well here's my Post about THAT post a few months ago.

Anyways I had said how when I first started learning how important tongue level was in playing that it was doing miracles for me. Now that i've been using it for about 2 months :dontknow: I will say my range has gotten better to where after I warm up and do a few Caruso studies I can tongue double F's out. My tone overall has gotten more of that "Bach" sound (as my lessons teach put it) and furthermore I have more endurance. Plus pitch bending a G down to a C# is fun to do since my fellow players can only bend down to a F or an E :thumbsup: Just generalization over how it's helping, plus ive been working on having a more open throat, and that helps alot:play:

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That doesn't sound like any post that I have EVER posted in response to a post about a post.

Double F I simply do not believe (2 octaves above the stave), I have never addressed Caruso or pitch bending and an open throat is still a biological mystery to me because there is nothing except the vocal chords in a throat that could "close".

Nope, if it's working, it's not because of me. I advocate music, relaxed and daily routine. You haven't mentioned anything about any of that. There is nothing more important.

3. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Marching, you're saying you can bend a G to a C#? You mean 2nd line G to C# below the staff? That's rather remarkable. I would love to see a video of this.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi rowuk,
    This may have stemmed from the looooong discussion we had about Brunolli(sp) and making the aperture smaller to go higher v. Arch Tongue and Hiss.

5. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    I'm guessing that means a low 1+3 G to a lowwww C# way below the staff.
    And that is quite fun to do.

6. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    1) I had an Eb/E before I even started this
    2) Why not?
    3) I was only one note away, when I changed I went down to soley a high C then worked back up once I got used to a new technique

7. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I do Clarke Studies after I do Breath attacks out of the Arban book, followed by a little bit of Schlossberg, and every few days I will work out of the Vacchiano Double or Triple tongueing book, whichever I feel like doing that day.
    I have gotten to where I do not practice out of my Claude Gordan book. On top of that lately I've been combining breath attacks, pitch bending, and the whole "hold out the note till your breath is gone" all combining that into my clarke studies at different points of the same 2-3 pages I play everyday.
    After all of this I do the first 2 exercises you turn to in the Caruso book, as I have found (with me personally) if I keep going bad habits form, not intentionally, but it happens.
    After that I will play some long tones and walk away for about 5 min. Then I come back afterwards, warm up with a few breath attacks and about 1 or 2 lines out of the clarke book, then I go at it with either the Hummel Trumpet Concerto (Most fun to play in my view) or the Haydn Trumpet Concerto (Most fun to perfect for me). After about 20-30 min of working on that I go into practicing my marching music (which is pretty dang difficult) go shot after a bit. then warmdown, go downstairs, and work on learning the piano and organ.
    There ya go

8. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Yep, I mean it's not hard, and my video camera is broken, sounds like I don't want to put up a video? I mean I can do it, so I'll get it up within the next little while. Idk how to load a video though, but i'll try to get one up soon. :play:

9. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Either it was you or Solar Bell, and I do think it was you who told me to post how it worked out for me later.

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Double F is an octave above the F that is 3 ledger lines and a space above the staff.