Doing what I thought Rowuk told me to do a few months ago (but didn't really)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a marching trumpet, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    rowuk;
    Here's your words from "upper register problem" I never said you advocated the technique, I said we discussed it.
    ----------
    Just blowing does not relate to playing the trumpet. The lips open and close like valves, completely stopping the air (check this link: IWK Brass Research )
    The teeth are also in the way, so that even if the arched tongue did something, it would be cancelled.
    Proper playing finds equilibrium between the backpressure of the horn/mouthpiece and our airpressure blowing. If we blow too hard, the lips would collapse into the mouthpiece cup.
    The only argument that makes sense to me is turbulence in the mouth.

This discussion comes from "upper register problem and I suggested that maybe the Poster got the idea from the discussion about Arch Tongue and Hiss (which came from me) and making the aperture smaller (which came from you) and thought you were the one who recommended arch tongue and hiss. bernoulli was also mentioned in this thread.

2. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    MAYBE I AM COOOOOOOMPLETELY WRONG! But I do feel that I have excellent tone and furthermore I find that discussing why you play a certain way, why does the throat need to be open, why does the arch of the tongue matter? I found that these do matter, not by soley playing exercises but by sitting with my teacher, and him TELLING me about how this player, that is well known, plays differently than that player over there, why the exercises are necessary, what they mean to accomplish, different ways to play a trumpet. I find that just shoving an exercise infront of you without explanation or detail is like giving a kid an Algebraic formula and saying figure it out yourself. I mean I am most certainly no teacher, but I find that discussing things ranks higher than the playing I did in my lessons, I learned more by word of mouth than I did sitting infront of a clarke book not knowing what tha #### it ment to do that exercise. Discussion I feel is of great importance in understanding.

3. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    HEY ROWUCK REMEMBER THIS QUOTE? :-P So much for NOT telling me to post my results huh?
    "Success is measured in months and years. If what you are doing works, you need to stick with it and post again when school lets out. We could probably wipe out about 25% of all posts here at TM if we deleted all the posts with no follow through."

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/cool-thing-ive-been-doin-over-53706.html

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    AMT,
    I have no problem with follow up. You just didn't mention anything originating from me. There are other great players here and if they help, THEY should get credit not ME.

Look up whoever gave you that specific help and use their name.

Markie,
    I don't know where the discussion came from. My only point is that none of the stuff mentioned has anything to do with my philosophy or teaching methods and therfore should not be credited to me. You are Mr. Hiss and Arch, so YOU probably helped here and deserve mention - not me.

I have often posted that there are things that I simply do not talk about during lessons or TM posts. That does not mean that I disapprove, it means that I think I found a better way to communicate a specific context. Tongue level/arch and the like are things that I believe one should never THINK about, they can and should happen through repetitions of the correct exercizes. That is why any discussion about this stuff will never come from me.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    You are Mr. Hiss and Arch, so YOU probably helped here and deserve mention - not me.
    ----------
    That's what I've been saying.......repetedly.